Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppressors? First time NFA buyer

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Suppressors? First time NFA buyer

So, I am finally able and ready to take the plunge and get into the suppressor game. I have been reading several forum posts here in preparation, and it sounds like my local Class 3 dealer is going to walk me through the entire paperwork and stamp process which is excellent. So I am confident in that part of it. However, I have just about zero clue on which suppressor I should get.

A few months ago I purchased two muzzle devices (SureFire SF3P-556's) because I was dead-set I was going with a SureFire suppressor. Well, as the time nears closer I am conflicted. Two on sale right now have caught my eye, the SOCOM-SB 556 QD, and the SOCOM-RC 556 QD.

There is a $20 difference in the two currently, so I am splitting hairs, but this might be the only suppressor I buy for quite a while and I want to make sure I am going to buy something that lasts.

Which ever I choose will be mainly on my MK18 build I am working on, as well as an 11.5" BCM pistol, and possibly my Tavor or DD RECCE. The purpose will be home defense exclusively at this time. I want to mitigate the blast as much as possible indoors, even though with the 5.56 it will never be hearing safe, I completely understand that.

In M4's professional opinion, would these be good options? Or should I keep save up and look elsewhere? Or are there factors or questions I am missing, or not asking?
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If you’re putting it on a short barrel there is no reason not to get the SB, even if it is $20 more. It’s designed for them. Run with it.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Its about time.

Id throw a brake (not the flash hider) on the 10.3” to help preserve the blast baffle... maybe the 11.5” as well.

I may go with the sb if you plan on high volumes of fire, but the standard will last a long -ass time even on a short barrel. The brake will extend the life.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 02-21-18 at 21:04.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How much extra life will you get using a brake?

QD mounts are expensive, add weight and in the case of brakes (especially with short barrels) very loud. Will the extra life of a suppressor be enough to make the cost and weight penalties of a QD brake worth it? There is no way I would be shooting a brake on a short barrel. Therefore, if I had a brake on short barreled AR, it would only be shot suppressed. Why pay for a brake if it does not extend the life of a suppressor enough to pay for itself?

In fact, I can't see paying extra for a QD mount period. I'm never going to shoot either of my suppressed shorties without a can. In fact, I think it's time manufacturers start offering QD mounts that are nothing but QD mounts. Make them as light and economical as possible. No extra metal for a brake or flash suppression. All I'm ever going to use a QD mount for is to remove the suppressor for more convenient storage.

While a suppressor won't make a 5.56 completely hearing safe, it will make shooting much more pleasant and will be much safer shooting indoors during a self defense situation much less damaging to your ears. It will make the damage your ears take from each shot much less.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 02-22-18 at 08:36.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    I would imagine the life extension would depend on barrel length, ammo, and what silencer it is... so i cant quantify it, but AAC states it extends the life. If its 10% life extension, it would be cost effective, then factor in the wait time, etc.

I agree that i would not want to shoot an sbr with a brake. Qd would give the option to ise the silencer on other guns, obviously. Depends on how OP wants to use his gear. If putting thousands of suppressed rounds through the 10.5”, id go sb and brake. If it will be suppressed on occassion and run a significant amout of time without the can, the FH absolutely makes more sense. The SB will trade weight for longevity, so it really depends on how you run it and what your goals are.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 02-22-18 at 09:42.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Its about time.

Id throw a brake (not the flash hider) on the 10.3” to help preserve the blast baffle... maybe the 11.5” as well.

I may go with the sb if you plan on high volumes of fire, but the standard will last a long -ass time even on a short barrel. The brake will extend the life.
    The main reason that I bought the FH's was because I routinely train with a friend of mine, and even the BCM comp that came on my 11.5 is so damned obnoxious in close proximity. I have heard positive things about the Warcomp not being brutally concussive without a suppressor.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    How much extra life will you get using a brake?

QD mounts are expensive, add weight and in the case of brakes (especially with short barrels) very loud. Will the extra life of a suppressor be enough to make the cost and weight penalties of a QD brake worth it? There is no way I would be shooting a brake on a short barrel. Therefore, if I had a brake on short barreled AR, it would only be shot suppressed. Why pay for a brake if it does not extend the life of a suppressor enough to pay for itself?

In fact, I can't see paying extra for a QD mount period. I'm never going to shoot either of my suppressed shorties without a can. In fact, I think it's time manufacturers start offering QD mounts that are nothing but QD mounts. Make them as light and economical as possible. No extra metal for a brake or flash suppression. All I'm ever going to use a QD mount for is to remove the suppressor for more convenient storage.

While a suppressor won't make a 5.56 completely hearing safe, it will make shooting much more pleasant and will be much safer shooting indoors during a self defense situation much less damaging to your ears. It will make the damage your ears take from each shot much less.
    And that is my goal. if I ever have to use it in the house I would like to be able to muffle sound as much as possible for myself, and loved ones in the house. I will store it with ear pro, but I am sure if there is a situation I will only be able to grab what's immediately necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I would imagine the life extension would depend on barrel length, ammo, and what silencer it is... so i cant quantify it, but AAC states it extends the life. If its 10% life extension, it would be cost effective, then factor in the wait time, etc.

I agree that i would not want to shoot an sbr with a brake. Qd would give the option to ise the silencer on other guns, obviously. Depends on how OP wants to use his gear. If putting thousands of suppressed rounds through the 10.5”, id go sb and brake. If it will be suppressed on occassion and run a significant amout of time without the can, the FH absolutely makes more sense. The SB will trade weight for longevity, so it really depends on how you run it and what your goals are.
    The Suppressor will be on the MK18 99% of the time. Then move to the 11.5" or even the RECCE when I travel until I get that SBR permission slip to cross state lines. outside of that though, I plan to have it live on my SBR build once it's all finished up. I appreciate all of the feedback so far, it's been great.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    I have both the SB and the RC. I can't tell the difference at the ear

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    The SB was designed for barrels shorter than 10", so if you don't plan on getting something shorter than your Mk18, then I don't think it matters. The SB also has a slightly larger bore diameter to reduce the possibility of barrel strikes with less stable ammo types (they list green tip as an example). The SB with it's larger bore may help with blowback as well. SOCOM has used the RC on Mk18's for ages, so they work just fine.

The monetary and time investment for NFA items should make price considerations low on the list, so I wouldn't suggest buying the "cheaper" one just to save $20. They're both identical in size and weight, so buy whichever you want. Either will serve you admirably. FWIW, I'd likely go with the SB just for the reduced probability of baffle strikes. My buddy recently had a baffle strike with his 300SPS when he tried it on his SAM7. Noticeable shiny marks when looking through the can, and some marring at the muzzle end, but nothing worth fretting. Tough cans.
    Last edited by straitR; 02-24-18 at 10:24.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by straitR View Post
    The SB was designed for barrels shorter than 10", so if you don't plan on getting something shorter than your Mk18, then I don't think it matters. The SB also has a slightly larger bore diameter to reduce the possibility of barrel strikes with less stable ammo types (they list green tip as an example). SOCOM has used the RC on Mk18 for ages, so they seem to work fine on that application. The SB with it's larger bore may help with blowback as well

The monetary and time investment for NFA items should make price considerations low on the list, so I wouldn't suggest buying the "cheaper" one just to save $20. They're both identical in size and weight, so buy whichever you want. Both will suit your purpose just fine. FWIW, I'd likely go with the SB just for the reduced probability of baffle strikes. My buddy recently had a baffle strike with his 300SPS when he tried it on his SAM7. Noticeable shiny marks when looking through the can, and some marring at the muzzle end, but nothing worth fretting. Tough cans.
    Did his Sam 7 have non concentric threading?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by straitR View Post
    The SB was designed for barrels shorter than 10", so if you don't plan on getting something shorter than your Mk18, then I don't think it matters. The SB also has a slightly larger bore diameter to reduce the possibility of barrel strikes with less stable ammo types (they list green tip as an example). The SB with it's larger bore may help with blowback as well. SOCOM has used the RC on Mk18's for ages, so they work just fine.

The monetary and time investment for NFA items should make price considerations low on the list, so I wouldn't suggest buying the "cheaper" one just to save $20. They're both identical in size and weight, so buy whichever you want. Either will serve you admirably. FWIW, I'd likely go with the SB just for the reduced probability of baffle strikes. My buddy recently had a baffle strike with his 300SPS when he tried it on his SAM7. Noticeable shiny marks when looking through the can, and some marring at the muzzle end, but nothing worth fretting. Tough cans.
    I did order the SB based on the feedback I was getting from you guys here. It will be primarily used on shorter barrels, the Mk18 and the 11.5 BCM. The thing I am still unsure about is if I should also order a warcomp to mount it on based on what Mega was saying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast