Thread: .22 LR AR Pistol build for my son

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

.22 LR AR Pistol build for my son

Article and a lot more photos: http://www.militarymorons.com/weapon...s7.html#22lrar

When I first started shooting, it was with an AMT Lightning, a stainless steel clone of the popular Ruger 10/22 (the rifle which most kids I knew had). When I recently started my 10-year old son shooting, I started him off with airsoft guns, then moved onto an air pistol, then .22 LR pistols. I then introduced him to the .22LR AR rifle that I had. It's a full-size rifle, and rather long and heavy for him. He can shoot the rifle supported, but had trouble shooting it offhand, so I decided to build a 22 LR AR pistol for him, which would be more in proportion to his smaller stature. For this build, I used a combination of parts I already had on hand, and some new ones. My goal was to build something short and light weight, that would be a good weapon to learn on.

The Upper - Here's a list of components I used for the upper:

BCM receiver takeoff from their ELW Upper Receiver Group.
    BCM MCMR-9 (M-Lok Compatible Modular Rail)
    BCM MCMR Rail panel kit and KAG
    BCM Mod A44 Ambi charging handle
    CMMG 9" barrel and 22ARC bolt group kit
    CMMG pistol shell deflector and ejection door kit
    SA Accubrake

As my son is a lefty like I am, a pistol caliber shell deflector helps keep the empty cases away from the face. The shell deflector that I ordered from CMMG is different that the one I have on my .22LR rifle upper; which looks like the old Colt 9mm upper shell deflector. Also included in the kit is a shortened ejection port cover.

My son has small hands, so a slim and light handguard was necessary. I chose the BCM MCMR. I chose the 9" version to go with the 9" barrel, knowing that the handguard would be longer than the barrel by about 1.5". While the 8" handguard will have resulted in a shorter overall length, I'm not fond of the ultra short 'kitty kat' AR uppers, and wanted this pistol to have a more balanced look and usable handguard. The handguard came with an M-LOK compatible sling mount and rail (for a limited time only). Included in the package are all necessary mounting hardware, thread locker, and wrenches.

The BCM rail panels and KAG were the obvious choices to complete the handguard. The rail panels are compact and provide a grippy surface, and the KAG works well as a hand stop/index to ensure that my son's grip stays consistent. The rail panels are ultra low profile, which are perfect for small hands.

The CMMG 22ARC bolt group kit is really nice. The only modification I made was to break any sharp edges on the chamber entrance of the barrel with a dremel, and polish the feed ramp. The CMMG feed ramp looked great right out of the box and I was very impressed with the quality of the 22ARC bolt group compared to my old Spike's Tactical .22 LR. Note that they are not compatible with each other. The CMMG ARC barrel collar assembly will not fit on my Spike's Tactical .22LR barrel and vice versa.

For optics, I took my Larue Irondot off another upper I had as it's compact and light weight. It has the same Burris FastFire that's been mounted on it for over 10 years and it's still working well. For back up sights, which are actually there to teach my son how to use iron sights, I asked for a set of PTS EP BUIS from a friend. PTS is an airsoft company that used to manufacture the Magpul PTS line of products. Ever since Magpul and PTS parted ways, PTS has introduced their own products, which also include items that fit on both airsoft and real weapons. While they state that all their products are for airsoft, training and simluation purposes only, some of their products like their stocks and grips are fine for use on range guns. The PTS EP BUIS set are made of Dupont Zytel reinforced polymer and are small and light weight. Since this is a .22 LR pistol built purely as a range gun, I didn't see the need to put aluminum sights on it and had no qualms about putting PTS sights on it. The PTS sights are easy to adjust without tools and function well for their intended purpose. I don't think I'd put them on a serious 5.56 upper though.

The SA Accubrake is something I've had in my parts box for over 20 years, maybe more. I can't really find any info on it anymore, but it was marketed as a 'tunable' brake which could be adjusted and locked in place. The Browning BOSS system does the same thing; it tunes the vibrations of the barrel by lengthening or shortening it. That's irrelevant for this pistol build, but it looked cool, was the right length, and wasn't being used so I installed it on the end of the barrel.

Lower Receiver - I had an 80% lower that I had never assembled sitting in my safe, so I took the opportunity to use it for this build.

Here's a list of components I used for the lower:

BCM PNT Trigger Assembly and LPK
    BCM Pistol receiver extension
    Forward Control Design Ambidextrous Enhanced Magazine Release (EMR-A)
    BAD EMMR-L Magazine release finger pad
    PTS Enhanced Polymer Grip Compact (EPGC)
    SB Tactical SOB pistol brace

I've built a couple of AR pistols, and both of them sport LAW Tactical folding mechanisms with braces. Those, however, are too long for my kid, who is small for his age. Rather than going with the Phase 5 Hex tube I had on hand, I thought that the SB Tactical SOB brace would not only look better, but provide a more comfortable cheek weld. One reason I don't like foam covered pistol tubes is that the foam collects dirt, dust, facial oil, sweat and skin over time. A bare tube isn't that comfortable, so a brace is the best option in my opinion. The BCM Pistol receiver extension has a 1.2" diameter and is machined from 7075 T6. It's compatible with most pistol braces, and carbine buffer and action springs. Since the pistol tube is a larger diameter than a standard carbine receiver extension, some castle nut wrenches won't fit, like the Hammerhead. It's just as well that I got the MCMR because the installation wrench can be used to tighten the castle nut on the pistol tube.

The FCD EMR-A features and extended paddle so my son's short fingers can reach it for mag changes. He's a lefty like me, and cannot reach a Norgon Ambi-catch. The pistol grip is from the aforementioned PTS company, and has worked well on a couple of others rifles of mine. While marketed for airsoft, the grip is made of Dupont Zytel high performance reinforced polymer, and I'd trust it just as much as many of the grips made for 'real' guns.

BCM's PNT trigger assembly (Polished - Nickel - Teflon) are an enhanced mil-spec fire control assembly and bridge the gap between a USGI trigger and a specialty, target trigger. The PNT retains the reliability of a mil-spec set up while reducing the creep and grittiness present in the standard trigger setup. I've used my .22LR AR rifle upper on various lowers, and have noticed that I'd have issues with light strikes when using lighter triggers. Sometimes I'd remove the round, rotate it, and put it back in the chamber and it'd fire. Ever since I went back to heavier triggers on dedicated .22LR lowers, the reliability increased with less failures to fire.

The SBT SOB pistol brace slides onto the BCM Pistol receiver extension snugly, and is quite solid on it. It would rotate slightly, but not that easily. However, to eliminate all rotation, I used a bit of double-sided adhesive tape on the tube, then slid the brace over it. It didn't rotate after that.

Notes/Observations - Fully assembled, the pistol weighs 5 lbs on the dot; which my son is able to handle quite comfortably. It's definitely more in proportion to him now. With my rifle, he looked like he was trying to shoot a musket. I used a laser boresighter to sight it in before taking it to the range, and it didn't require any adjustments. We just took it out for its first range session. At 50 feet (approx 17 yards), the pistol shot 2" groups offhand, so it was good to go in my book for my son. I did not shoot it from a rest, and I'd expect it to shoot tighter groups when supported.

I used Black Dog Machine 10-round magazines for my son to practice reloads and other drills I'm starting him on. We went through 200 rounds of CCI Mini Mags and 150 American Eagle HV Plated ammo. To my pleasant surprise, we did not have a single misfeed or failure to fire; or failure to extract. Typically when shooting .22 LR, I'm kind of expecting a few duds or bullet noses catching on the chamber edge, but nothing of that sort this time.

As for size, the AR pistol was perfect for my son. My 10/22 is in a target stock and is too long/heavy for him, as is my .22LR AR rifle. When teaching a kid to shoot offhand, I think that it's important to ensure that the weapon is proportional in size to the kid; otherwise it can be more challenging than it needs to be, and not as much fun for the kid. I know that there are kid-sized rifles like the Crickett or other single-shot rifles. I don't really think that it's necessary to start with a bolt-action. When I first started my son on my .22 AR, I had him load one round per magazine until he graduated to two. With the AR pistol, I had him load 2 rounds per magazine so he could practice some reloading drills. I was very proud of him; he handled it like a boss; and wasn't struggling with its length or weight at all.

The other good thing about the .22 AR pistol is that it's not too small for me to shoot, unlike some of the youth-sized guns; plus it can be fired at indoor ranges that don't allow rifle calibers. Building an AR is always fun; but this time it was all the more enjoyable to share the process with my kid.

Article and a lot more photos: http://www.militarymorons.com/weapon...s7.html#22lrar

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Nice build. On my back burner are plans to build something very similar, only with the CMMG 4.5" barrel and 7" KMR rail. I also feel like the 16" M&P15-22 with a can is quite the musket for kids to handle.

If rugrat #2 wants to shoot (unlike rugrat #1) then he can transition to it after shooting the bolt action. Also have a M&P22Compact which is sized for yutes.
    Last edited by Rayrevolver; 02-22-18 at 09:25.

Feedback Score
    well done, dad!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Very nicely done and well thought out. I'm wholly in agreement with you about proportioning the weapon to the shooter. When my kids were little, I had .22s cut down to fit them. My wife does better with proportionally shorter rifles and I plan to build an AR pistol along lines similar to yours. Unfortunately, auto repairs have put the build on the back burner for now, but all it needs is a .22 barrel and an SOB brace. My favorite brace, by the way. I have one on my AR pistol, the Wolf Pup. We plan to suppress the wife's .22 AR and will be looking at a new Gemtech offering once the LGS gets one in.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks for the comments, fellas. The good thing about an AR-type build is that once the kid outgrows a certain configuration, you can always change and re-purpose parts. That's the main reason why I went this way instead of a kid-sized rifle. We're not having another more kid.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    And good trigger discipline by your young man, too.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Great build! I have been a big proponent of dedicated 22 uppers. I had a Spikes upper for about 8 years now and its has at least 15k rounds through it. Recently built a CMMG 4.5 kit with various parts I had laying around. Has a 7 Geissele mk8 rail with An upgraded Gemtech Outback 2 and an RMR. Super fun and reliable.