Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Which lower?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by THORN74 View Post

Obviously if it's an out of spec receiver the retailer or manufacturer would take it back and give you a new one.
    Sometimes getting a manufacturer to take back a budget lower is easier said than done, and you're still out multiple transfer fees if you're buying online, not to mention the potential wait time and frustration of dealing with the whole thing.

All I said was all things being equal and genuine milspec.... I see no reason to spend the extra money on some "name brand"
    I think the point you're missing is that just because a $40 lower is described as "milspec" by the manufacturer that doesn't necessarily make it so. In other words, you aren't guaranteed the "all things being equal" assumption that you are making. With a small sample size you may get lucky and never have an issue. But also realize with a more expensive receiver you are generally paying for more than just a roll mark or "name brand." You are also paying for a higher standard of QC and often a better ano, better attention to detail during machining, etc.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 02-22-18 at 12:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    Sometimes getting a manufacturer to take back a budget lower is easier said than done, and you're still out multiple transfer fees if you're buying online, not to mention the potential wait time and frustration of dealing with the whole thing.

I think the point you're missing is that just because a $40 lower is described as "milspec" by the manufacturer that doesn't necessarily make it so. In other words, you aren't guaranteed the "all things being equal" assumption that you are making. With a small sample size you may get lucky and never have an issue. But also realize with a more expensive receiver you are generally paying for more than just a roll mark or "name brand." You are also paying for a higher standard of QC and often a better ano, better attention to detail during machining, etc.
    I would agree to both of your points. I'm just unsure that's worth the extra $$$.... Again just my humble non expert opinion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I would agree to both of your points. I'm just unsure that's worth the extra $$$.... Again just my humble non expert opinion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    It's your $$, spend it how you please. I just think it's important that folks understand what they are paying for and why that $40 budget lower is so cheap. And that they might be taking a risk in return for saving some cash.

Feedback Score
    OP here, the Anderson is $40 and the Spike’s is $100. Is there a jump in quality here or just price? Anderson is officially off my list by the way. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retired Army Infantry

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhnut1973 View Post
    OP here, the Anderson is $40 and the Spike’s is $100. Is there a jump in quality here or just price? Anderson is officially off my list by the way. Thanks.

IMO Spikes lowers are just fine, as long as you can find one with markings that you like. I haven't seen the sort of issues with them that I've seen with Anderson's or other cheap lowers, and in my experience they are usually pretty on the ball as far as customer service is concerned.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a Spike's with no issues. That being said, take a look at Aero Precision. Nice lowers and based my locale are cheaper delivered than the Spikes last time I checked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I have a Spike's with no issues. That being said, take a look at Aero Precision. Nice lowers and based my locale are cheaper delivered than the Spikes last time I checked.
    I used an Aero upper on my Grendel build and it has function flawlessly. That being said, I can buy the Spike’s locally so that’s why I’m leaning that direction.

Retired Army Infantry

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhnut1973 View Post
    Last year I built a 6.5 Grendel upper and presently it shares time on my Armalite lower with my 5.56 upper. I want to build a dedicated lower for my Grendel and later might add a BCM upper as well. My LGS only carries Spike’s and Anderson stripped lowers. Does it really matter the name on the lower?
    I want this lower to be milspec so I am prepared to do it right, l just would prefer to buy locally if possible. Any suggestions and insight would be greatly appreciated.

Go for the Spikes over the Anderson. Spikes makes decent stuff. I have built one Anderson lower and it seems fine, I haven't test fired it extensively though and I've read some horror stories from others about Anderson lowers.

I built a spikes lower for my BCM upper and that rifle runs great. I also have a spikes BCG in my 10.5 6.8 and it works great.
    Last edited by kirkland; 02-22-18 at 13:39.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    IMO Spikes lowers are just fine, as long as you can find one with markings that you like. I haven't seen the sort of issues with them that I've seen with Anderson's or other cheap lowers, and in my experience they are usually pretty on the ball as far as customer service is concerned.
    They have several at my LGS, the spider, the pirate, and a spartan. They are $99 and I’ve found them online for $93-$115 so it makes sense to support the local shop if I go with a Spike’s.

Retired Army Infantry

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I got the Spikes pirate and that isn't just a spider

Local shop had them, but still ended up being cheaper to order Aero even with shipping and transfer after looking around a bit.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast