Thread: What length to replace P35 Hi Power recoil spring?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

What length to replace P35 Hi Power recoil spring?

Picked up new Hi Power recoil springs and they are 4.5" in length. The old spring is 4.25" long and no clue on age (Israeli surplus). The only info I have found is a mention to replace by 4.1" which seems kinda short. Any experience from anyone?

Feedback Score
    Recoil springs aren't difficult to come by. I try swap them out after about 1,500 rounds regardless. By that time, the spring I replace is noticeably shorter than a new one, but I've never used measured the difference. A used P35 ... I'd start out fresh with springs all around.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Had it a few years and kept forgetting to order spare parts. Definitely replacing the recoil spring in it. Based on the sand inside it when I got it their preventive maintenance seemed not so great.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Picked up new Hi Power recoil springs and they are 4.5" in length. The old spring is 4.25" long and no clue on age (Israeli surplus). The only info I have found is a mention to replace by 4.1" which seems kinda short. Any experience from anyone?
    #14 wolf come in 3's not expensive

carbine357

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bought the factory 17lbs recoil springs for $5 each. If Browning has any parts left they might be even cheaper than that.

Still just need to know the FN recommended replace by length.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Still just need to know the FN recommended replace by length.
    I’ve been to most handgun armorer courses over the years but never a FN/Browning HP course. Most handguns recoil springs are based on round count not free length like rifle springs. The length of the springs set can be different from manufacturer to manufacturer. Maybe someone has a Canadian military TM that could give you a number. Never seen it thought. David

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah that is what I am hoping for. Found a PDF of one Browning put out, but couldn't find anything in it on recoil spring replacement schedules.

Shot the new 4.5"/1500mm spring yesterday and the difference versus the 4.25" spring really makes me doubt the 4.1" recommendation I found online.

Feedback Score
    go to wolf web site

they list factory standard for all pistols

i don't remember factory thought it was #14

UPDATE 2/24/18 I WAS WRONG ON SPRING WT
    17 for std ammo most of us use 147 jhp "something"
    18.5 for +p "WHICH NO 1 DOES" BEATS THE GUN UP TOO BAD. recoil is also ferocius flash not to be believed.
    carried bhp's for 30+yrs in security work for someone have 5 of them still. carry with no worry if i had to.
    buy 17 std too every 1000 rds never have a problem

good luck

carbine

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Got an Email response from FN Herstal:

Dear Sir

The manual suggests that the spring should be changed if the free length is less than 105mm.

What is important is the compression force, (not easy to measure), so a spring may give fully reliable functioning at less than 105mm.

Best regards,

Shane Healey
    Last edited by jsbhike; 03-05-18 at 16:02.