Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake or Flash Hider - What's the preference when running a suppressor?

Feedback Score

Brake or Flash Hider - What's the preference when running a suppressor?

Alright, I'll be jumping into the NFA pond soon and would like some input. I'm fairly set on a suppressor selection; the new YHM Resonator. I'd initially planned on the YHM Turbo, but am glad I waited. For just a little more cash, the versatility of a .30 cal can seems like a no-brainer. However, I'm open to hearing any opinions that contend otherwise.

The real question I have is, what type of muzzle device should I go with? The YHM cans come with the buyer's choice of either a FH or MB. No price difference, and both options are QD. If I stick with purchasing the YHM Resonator, the can will primarily see use on:

- 10.5" barreled AR in 5.56
    - 16" barreled AR in 5.56
    - 26" barreled bolt action in .308

Outside of plinking/range/training the intent is to let it live on the 10.5" AR. However, until I put some rounds downrange, I won't completely write-off marrying it to the 16" carbine.

Obviously, I'll need to purchase two muzzle devices (in addition to the one that comes with the can). So, what would you all recommend for each?
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post

- 10.5" barreled AR in 5.56
    - 16" barreled AR in 5.56
    - 26" barreled bolt action in .308
    If you're planning to only use the 10.5 with the suppressor, I would go with a brake as it will act as a sacrificial first blast baffle and spare the can some of the wear from the short barrel.

That shouldn't be as much of an issue on the other two, so I would say use whichever you prefer to have on those guns when not running the suppressor.

Just my thoughts, others may have more/better input.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 02-22-18 at 21:34.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I believe - at least with my AAC can and AAC Blackout brake, that the brake acts as a baffle of sorts and can extend the life of your can. I don’t know if that’s quantifiable, as I’m pretty new to suppressors, but this is what I was taught, by someone who has used them much of his military career and also as a civilian. I have also read some research to support this, and it does make some sense to me in my limited scope of knowledge.
    With the AAC, their Blackout brake is substantially higher than their FH, which is why I suppose you get a free FH with the can.
    Even so I only run brakes and so I recommend brakes.

I’ll tell you that once I started running drills and training with my can on my SBR’s I did not want to run it any other way. I’ve already bought another .30 cal AAC can dedicated for my 300BLK SBR and once I get it here in a few of months, I will buy a smaller 5.56 can, mostly likely the M42K. For the most part I enjoy shooting my precision rifles with a can and have a dedicated .30 cal can for my 308. The plan is to leave it on my .308, the other .30 cal can on my 300BLK, and then a 5.56 can for my go-to SBR, which wish either float.... or I’ll end up getting a couple more dedicated 5.56 cans so each SBR has its own. I hope to resist that pull to the dark side. Or broke side, but I’m not counting on it. Lol

You’ll love that thing in your 10.5. My suppressed 10.3 is one of my favorite setup. Just 150% blast!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input, guys! I too have heard a lot of folks saying a brake can help to slow any wear in the blast chamber; providing a greater benefit as the barrel gets shorter. I can certainly see why that assertion has merit.

The YHM can does have an Inconel blast baffle, which I understand also helps with mitigating wear. I suppose my only apprehension in going with a brake (on the 10.5") is knowing that occasions without the suppressor won't be all that pleasant

Regardless, I'm pretty excited about getting into the NFA game! Just trying to patiently wait a little longer for some end user reports on the Resonator.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    I went with flash hiders. It's nice to shoot my SBRs without an extra pound hanging off the front every now and then, and brakes are obnoxious. If your can is going to live on a particular host, I would go direct thread. Although a brake acts as a sacrificial blast baffle, no one can quantify how much wear is reduced. Either way, I know I won't shoot out my can in my lifetime.

Feedback Score
    I Dunn FH mounts on all mine. YHM FHs to be specific. I have multiple YHM cans, multiple F1 cans that use YHM muzzle devices, and multiple SiCo cans that use YHM muzzle devices. At the time I started, YHM said it didn't matter...pick which one I wanted. They rated all their cans down to 10.5" regardless of whether FH/MB used. This included 6.8, which SiCo limited the Omega to 16".

Then came the Nitro. I have one in jail (along with two Turbos). It's the first time I've really seen any company list different min barrel lengths based on MB vs FH. In my case, I'm dedicating the Nitro to a 16" 300BLK build, so it's not a big deal. If I hadn't gotten it for a steal ($425), I'd cancel it and buy a Resonator instead.

The versatility doesn't mean much to me. Swapping end caps usually isn't worth the time. Everything I have is QD, so the included DT adapter may never get used. I guess it may be nice to have some day...and for others it may be real useful from the start.

(BTW...I have the explanation from YHM for the minimum barrel lengths...if anybody hasn't seen it and wants to, let me know and I'll go get it and copy/paste it here. I thinks it's in a PM on a different site).

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post

(BTW...I have the explanation from YHM for the minimum barrel lengths...if anybody hasn't seen it and wants to, let me know and I'll go get it and copy/paste it here. I thinks it's in a PM on a different site).
    I'd be interested in seeing it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing it.
    Here you go...

Originally Posted By YHM_Kevin:
    BigWaylon, you're not the first person to ask us about the multitude of barrel length restrictions for the Nitro. Below is a brief write up on our reasoning's.

The reason there are so many variations of barrel length restrictions on the Nitro is due to the suppressor being designed as a multi caliber do-all suppressor. In order to achieve optimal sound reduction on all tested platforms it was found that a conical first baffle provided the best sound results. Due to the geometry of the first baffle it is recommended that the provided Q.D. muzzle brake be used on short barreled rifles in order to help disperse the initial blast to the sides of the blast chamber rather than directing it at the face of the first baffle. This allows the Q.D. muzzle brake to act as a sacrificial blast baffle and dramatically prolong the service life of the suppressor.

The design of our current Q.D. flash hider directs virtually all of the blast into the face of the first baffle. When shot full auto on a short barreled rifle this could cause premature wear of the first baffle. During product testing it was noted that utilizing the supplied direct thread caps resulted in much better erosion resistance when compared to the Q.D. flash hider because again, the initial blast is not being directed to the face of the first baffle.

All of our other suppressors have a flat blast baffle which greatly increases erosion resistance but in some cases doesn't provide the most effective sound mitigation.

-Kevin

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Thanks for posting that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    Thanks for posting that.
    And for the record...I replied with:

Originally Posted By BigWaylon:
    Good info. I'm going to take away two things:

1. Direct thread has same minimum lengths as when using the brake
    2. If I'm not doing FA mag dumps...and simply hunting or shooting a box of ammo at a leisurely pace, or wanting to compare the Nitro to my current cans for a couple shots...then I won't worry too much about putting it on an SBR.
    And then he said:

Originally Posted By YHM_Kevin:
    Both those point are correct. We just try spell out the uniqueness of the NITRO compared to our other models. The Turbo on the other hand has no different restrictions than our older Phantoms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast