Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake or Flash Hider - What's the preference when running a suppressor?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    Thanks for posting that.
    This, x2. Great info.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    The YHM can does have an Inconel blast baffle, which I understand also helps with mitigating wear. I suppose my only apprehension in going with a brake (on the 10.5") is knowing that occasions without the suppressor won't be all that pleasant.
    I get the nuisance that brakes bring to the range. Do you shoot on private land or a range? I haven’t shot at a public range in about two years, so I don’t really get on anyone’s nerve but my own. For sure though when I’m doing some drills shooting under a vehicle, if I happen to not have my can on, I create dust clouds that rival Ft Sill, OK dust devils in July. Other than that it doesn’t really bother me to shoot with a brake as long as I not next or anyone or in a confined space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I get the nuisance that brakes bring to the range. Do you shoot on private land or a range? I haven’t shot at a public range in about two years, so I don’t really get on anyone’s nerve but my own. For sure though when I’m doing some drills shooting under a vehicle, if I happen to not have my can on, I create dust clouds that rival Ft Sill, OK dust devils in July. Other than that it doesn’t really bother me to shoot with a brake as long as I not next or anyone or in a confined space.
    A little of both. I occasionally shoot on private land, but that's dependent upon a friend being present. This year, I added a membership to a semi-private (outdoor) range. They have limited hours for the public, while members have essentially 24/7/365 access. I try to avoid indoor ranges at all cost.

I have a brake on one of my 16" ARs, and try to be a good "neighbor" when other shooters are around. The apprehension over putting a brake on the 10.5" is more personal than anything. With a standard FH it already has a nice bark to it. Knowing how much the brake upped the concussion on that 16" AR, I can only imagine how much "fun" the 10.5" will be without a can.

I'm leaning towards getting one of each for the two ARs; starting with the brake on the 10.5 and FH on the 16". I already know what to expect with a brake on the 16". So, if for some reason the 10.5" is unbearable, I can always just swap them.

Nice thing is (IIRC) YHM cans have a lifetime warranty. So, if I somehow shot it out, I'm sure they'd take care of it.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    As a public service to humanity, I don't run brakes on anything except a .50 bmg (and that's only when it's unsuppressed, and there wasn't a non-brake option).

Feedback Score
    I run FH on most 5.56 12.5 SBR and on 300 B.O. 300 Win.Mag muzzle brake... But suppressed I do have few 5.56s with muzzle brakes one for FM1 can (should have direct threaded and pin on short barrel) I wouldn't shoot 300 WM near anyone unsuppressed, unless they are doing the same. I started using the logic of saving suppressor with muzzle brakes but if I can shoot out a suppressor I'll be successful in life.
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    I know when using a brake instead of FH on the Omega can the db drops a tad....

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    For me it depends upon several things.

1. Design of the flash hider - does it ping? The ping makes me want to punch babies (even with the suppressor and plugs and muffs) I will go brake to remove the ping
    2. Barrel length and manufacturer recommendations - Shorter barrels and if the mfctr. states something regarding their design to act as a biast baffle for a brake - disputed in some cases, but it is what it is.
    3. Caliber and will I ever shoot it unsuppressed (Extremely rare for me)- .308/7.62x51 vs 5.56 recoil mitigation and intended use of the weapon

More recent designs by companies like Dead Air, remove a varying amount of material on each flashhider prong. This changes the harmonics, removes the ping and still provides good flash suppression.

AAC was the first flash hider mount I had experience with, and is where I determined my annoyance/hatred for the "PING".

AAC mounts regardless of caliber - Brake
    Dead Air - Mix, but more flash hider than brake
    Surefire - Closed tine flash hider and brake depending upon caliber and intended use. I've heard from others that Surefire flash hiders have the ping as well, so I went with the closed tine SOCOM mount for use with my RC can.

This has been my experience over the last 8-10 years .
    Last edited by jethroUSMC; 03-14-18 at 06:56.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    I much prefer flash hiders to brakes on 5.56 rifles. Brakes make them quite miserable to fire unsuppressed indoors.
    On an AR10, however, I prefer brakes for their recoil reduction.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I prefer the brake as I care about the life of the can. (Not even necessarily the cost, but the year wait sucks.) Everything running a brake is always fired with the can on, so I don’t need to worry about being a jerk at the range. Oddly enough, once I went with my first suppressor I was hooked, and almost every rifle round I fire now is suppressed. I see no reason not to.
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12