Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light .223 loads?

Feedback Score

Light .223 loads?

Backstory:

My 12-year-old daughter likes scoped bolt guns, so she's been shooting our Ruger American Rimfires in .22 and .17HMR.

The next obvious step would be a bolt-action .223, and I really like Ruger's American Ranch Rifle that accepts AR mags. (Yes, that's a real thing.)

So, I'm thinking of how to reload the lightest possible .223 loads, using TrailBoss and light bullets (36-40gr.) The goal is to reduce .223 down to .22ish recoil/energy, and then ratchet it up to regular .223 levels.
    (FWIW, I'm working on the same thing with .38 Special in a LCRx, and the guys over at CastBoolits are very helpful.)

NB: She's 98lbs, and she's recoil/blast sensitive. (She's literally "a little girl.") I'm a doting father, and I'm happy to enable her to do whatever kind of shooting she likes. Don't tell me to have her toughen up and shoot full-house 5.56 loads.

Subsonic isn't necessary, though that would be nice (most subsonic loads I've found are for heavy bullets, for suppressor use). Terminal performance is a non-issue: She punches paper, and that's it.

I've seen the Hodgdon data that lists a maximum load of 4.0gr of TrailBoss under a 55gr bullet for about 1,000fps (subsonic). I'm thinking of 3.0gr of TrailBoss under a 40gr. bullet might net me about the same velocity and 1/3 less energy/recoil.

I'm asking here since you guys are the .223 gurus... Anybody done anything like this?
    Last edited by Bimmer; 02-25-18 at 19:52.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Deleted due to low knowledge base.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-07-18 at 20:54.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Have you considered loading a few 55s with 4gr of Trailboss and shooting the first couple in front of her to ease her apprehension? That sounds like it may be a mild enough load for her to not be intimidated by it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Have you considered loading a few 55s with 4gr of Trailboss and shooting the first couple in front of her to ease her apprehension?
    Yeah, that might work, but I can buy a box of 100 bullets for <$20, and going from 55gr down to 40gr would be a >25% reduction in energy/recoil.

It won't "kick" by the standards of this forum, but the Ruger American Ranch is pretty light, and I'll put a linear comp on it, so less energy, the better...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    If you Google Hornet loads in 223, there is a lot of information out there for reduced loads...
    Right on! I would never thought to look for that, but you're right...

Feedback Score
    I hope you understand that these light (TrailBoss) loads will not likely cycle the rifle. That doesn't mean they will not be accurate of course.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 308sako View Post
    I hope you understand that these light (TrailBoss) loads will not likely cycle the rifle. That doesn't mean they will not be accurate of course.
    The rifle he's talking about using (Ruger American Ranch) is a bolt action, so that's a non-issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    The rifle he's talking about using (Ruger American Ranch) is a bolt action, so that's a non-issue.

Oops...
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 308sako View Post
    LOL, I haven't found ANY rounds that will cycle my bolt guns...

Feedback Score
    Bimmer: I wish I could share some experience with Trail Boss in .223, but I haven't tried it yet. I have shot quite a few 160gr cast bullets in 30-30 using 8.0gr of Trail Boss and it's much like shooting 22 long rifle ammo. I feel no recoil at all, but then I'm just north of 200 lbs. I think your daughter will enjoy the load you have planned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast