Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom 1911's and their prices

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For me, it's an heirloom.
    Wife placed got in queue with Harrison to coincide with finishing her graduate degree. I became jealous, made and order to coincide with mine when I went back. It's about having something exactly as we want. Pursuit of an ideal. But there's no way for us to justify it as a tool. I did that once, coincidentally with SACS about 10 years ago. Had problems after about 3k rounds. The safety failed. Then the frame failed. They repaired it, but now it's a beater. I get the economics of it. Fewer qualified people, labor intensive, and a large part of the rising cost is because certain names become so sought the price needs to go up, for no other reason than to reduce demand. That being said, I wouldn't spend that much money on a working pistol again.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thei3ug View Post
    For me, it's an heirloom.
    Wife placed got in queue with Harrison to coincide with finishing her graduate degree. I became jealous, made and order to coincide with mine when I went back. It's about having something exactly as we want. Pursuit of an ideal. But there's no way for us to justify it as a tool. I did that once, coincidentally with SACS about 10 years ago. Had problems after about 3k rounds. The safety failed. Then the frame failed. They repaired it, but now it's a beater. I get the economics of it. Fewer qualified people, labor intensive, and a large part of the rising cost is because certain names become so sought the price needs to go up, for no other reason than to reduce demand. That being said, I wouldn't spend that much money on a working pistol again.
    What frame and safety failed??

Feedback Score
    I got rid of my custom 1911's, alloy frame commanders, and now just have bone stock Series 70 full size pistols.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Nothing wrong with that. It's a proven recipe that works well.

My high volume shooting is done with a steel 5", but I usually have a Glock 43 in my holster. I am undertaking a pair of lightweight 9mm CCOs soon. Hopefully I get 'em shook out good enough to carry (I have high standards).

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Rhyyke, spot-on about Guncrafter. Full disclosure, they are friends of mine but I have friends at WC and NHC too. Any conversation about the latter two is incomplete without considering GI..... there is a ton of quality in any gun from them and I have not compared their prices but I think the compare favorably.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have been toying with the idea of adding a “custom” 1911 to my collection. I am looking at Wilson, specifically the Protector II or the EDC X9.

I have also looked at STI...where do they fall in this discussion?
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Different category.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    STI is well liked by many. In my estimation a little less traditional in their approach. Not in the GI NHC WC arena IMHO. But they have their fans like any.

PB

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Being a match shooter and friends with a very popular 2011/1911, AR and 3-gun shotgun builder, I've seen more than a few STI.

Their game is the doublestack 9&40.

Their single stack 45s are nothing to write home about and they're usually finicky due to ramped barrel. I actually had a matched pair of Trojans built, a 9 and a 45 with fixed sights, standard grips, single side safety, fiber optic front. The build quality was maybe a bit better than a Springfield Loaded, but not on par with a TRP. The 9 actually ran better than the 45, but neither were rock solid, bet your life on it reliable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    What frame and safety failed??

I would also like to know more details...........

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast