Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom 1911's and their prices

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    One thing I'm quite certain of, " opinions and experiences vary widely ". And no doubt a lot of people can make very nice 1911's and others can fail miserably. I've had good experiences with SA and SACS and NHC. ED Brown was atrocious. I'm sure others just the opposite. Interesting stuff.

Very informative thread, I agree with YVK on it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Let's see those real deal customs YVK. A pic would be appreciated and any details if you share to answer. It's a joy to see our fellow m4carbine.net true custom smiths share their pics. They always amaze me.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    PB, I am on the road without my laptop, so my posting is a bit limited. I'll link to one thread that has a couple of pics. Ned built it, with my request of making a most appendix carry friendly S70 Colt that I already had as a base. Internal lightening, conversion to S80, first FallArrest parts installed, thumb safety design, with "usual" custom work of rail welding (Ned talks about mating frame and slide along 5 surfaces, I dunno if I can name alk 5), ergos of grip, safeties, front strap, trigger work with a trigger of my choice (took some convincing to do), Shuemann barrel fit and details I probably won't notice for years.

http://forum.ltwguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9786

My other gun from him is a unique build too, that I bought from someone. Will look for pics later.
    Last edited by YVK; 02-24-18 at 17:29.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Ned has some mad skills. I love to see his works of art when he shares. Thanks for the post.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Wow YVK that’s a stunner!!! PB, this Garthwaite after, counting the base cost and the gun went back after its first trip to add more to it I couldn’t afford the first time, ended up being $3700 total (with shipping). Shipping both ways twice was about $200 and the base was $950. So work was about $2500. Ish.

Last edited by newyork; 02-24-18 at 19:29.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I entered the world of custom guns with my used WC CQB. I found it at a local gun range/gun shop for $2100. I think I got to be a lucky man. I was told it had one owner. No idea how many rounds down the pipe. I have shot it and am very pleased. There was no way I could justify $3-$3500+ for a custom 1911. I am glad I found one used and I feel that that is the best way to go to own one of these guns.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Wow YVK that’s a stunner!!! PB, this Garthwaite after, counting the base cost and the gun went back after its first trip to add more to it I couldn’t afford the first time, ended up being $3700 total (with shipping). Shipping both ways twice was about $200 and the base was $950. So work was about $2500. Ish.

Well done. Those Blue guns are crazy beautiful.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Newyork, hat is a beautiful Garthwaite gun. Never seen one in flesh but it might change soon.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Doooo iiitttt!!!!
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    In the past 20 years the Springfield Custom Carry and Wilson CQB have shown themselves to be the gold standard for out of the box hard use/duty use 1911. There's a lot of 'smiths who can do amazing things with a base Colt or Springfield pistol, and it's the best way to get exactly what you want if you're super picky.

I used to be a 1911 only guy, and I spent more money having Springfields and Colts built than I ever would have if I would have just bought three Wilsons and quit. But I had a lot of fun figuring it out and made some good friends, and learned a lot about the platform.

I'm coming full circle back to the 1911 and I'm skipping straight over the budget and going all Wilson Combat. Base modelsn. One X-Tac and two CQBs are going to be it. It's cheaper in the long run. There is no functionality gained by going to a fancier Wilson, I think they go from tacky to hideous when you het past a CQB Elite.
    Last edited by 17K; 02-25-18 at 18:41.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    This is kind of OT, but kind of related - rumor on other forums is that SACS is opening back up this June or July.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast