Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom 1911's and their prices

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Range Report:

I picked up my NHC Heine Edition with Straight 8"s and I was very impressed. It was just inside the range stuff, but I was very comfortable and shot it very well for me. Its been a while since I Shot Straight 8"s and I picked them up very quickly and hit where I pointed. Slide and trigger .....are just what would be expected for a gun in that range.

Im very happy with my purchase.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 02-27-18 at 16:34.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I would imagine you are; happy with purchase. That's a good gun.

I have the Heinie "Straight 8's" on a carry gun (P-35) that I like and shoot well.
    With a bit of muscle memory/presentations/dry fire, the dots line up nicely without having to fish around for them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When I first got into 1911s the street price for a Wilson CQB was ~ $2000, give or take $100. I like nice gear, but I also want value, so I went in another direction and picked up both a Les Baer Concept II and a Springfield Custom Carry for only a little more than the CQB. But the prices asked for 1911s now leave me slack jawed. For what I’d spend on a SG I can get the LRB rifle and Sig P210 I’ve always wanted, with money left over for mags and ammo. I know the full customs are worth it, but I’d rather spend my money in other ways.

Of course all that goes out the window when I win the lottery. In that case I’m immediately placing an order with the following smiths -

Ted Yost
    Stan Chen
    Paul Liebenberg
    Jim Garthwaite
    Chris James
    John Jardine
    Novak’s
    "One can lead a child to knowledge, but one cannot make him think."
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I wouldn’t even have to win lottery. If I was smart or wasn’t lazy , I’d sell 5 guns and buy a real deal. And I may some day. When I see those pictures of Ned’s or Heirloom it gives me visceral pain. I mean it really does.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Even if I sold all my guns I still wouldn’t have enough to get a Yost or Chen...lol. At the moment I only have the two 1911s, an AR, a BHP, and a .22lr pistol and rifle. Me thinks I’m doing something wrong.

"One can lead a child to knowledge, but one cannot make him think."
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rico View Post
    Even if I sold all my guns I still wouldn’t have enough to get a Yost or Chen...lol. At the moment I only have the two 1911s, an AR, a BHP, and a .22lr pistol and rifle. Me thinks I’m doing something wrong.

It appears to me you have a great start.

PB

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I wouldn’t even have to win lottery. If I was smart or wasn’t lazy , I’d sell 5 guns and buy a real deal. And I may some day. When I see those pictures of Ned’s or Heirloom it gives me visceral pain. I mean it really does.

PB
    I say go for it. I used to shoot Custom 1911s exclusively. I thought I had too much tied up in pistols when I was getting married and changing careers, having a kid, etc. I sold 'em all off and shot a few Glocks but never liked 'em.
    I started over with good 1911s and it's worth it. We're gun people. We like to have good stuff.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I say go for it. I used to shoot Custom 1911s exclusively. I thought I had too much tied up in pistols when I was getting married and changing careers, having a kid, etc. I sold 'em all off and shot a few Glocks but never liked 'em.
    I started over with good 1911s and it's worth it. We're gun people. We like to have good stuff.
    Copy that, Im down , just give a brother a minute

Im on a nasty roll right now

PB

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    As to the original question?

My opinion is that you don't get anything functionality wise from going to the $3500+ range. A basic CQB, GRP, Springfield Custom Carry are all rock solid workhorse pistols.

Most of the people who own those guns are shooters and want something that's going to work and last.

Heirloom Precision builds the nicest looking big money 1911s. Supergrades and most everything else in that price range are usually tacky all the way to hideous.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I would have tend to agree. If I spend $5k+, it’s not going to be by a manufacture Gun. And I shoot my guns so I don’t need bling, I need bang!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast