Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Custom 1911's and their prices

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You’re already over half way there with the machine work and refinishing.

Get back with us after 30-40K and see if you get lucky. Nobody is saying that a $1K gun won’t be reliable. The marginal barrel fit and FCG fit generally won’t last as long as better quality parts with better fitting. You’re much more likely to chip a MIM (Springfield) sear, break a titanium firing pin, break slide stop lobe, or break a lower lug off a drop in barrel than you would something put together with more attention to detail.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Let me know what weapons you have with 30K+ rounds through them that you haven't replaced a barrel, bushing, or parts of the FCG. Any gun that gets 30k through it without replacing those parts is lucky. I probably have 10k through mine, almost all on the clock, and zero issues.

It's also way more strategically advantageous to buy one of these marginalized POS pistols, like a TRP, and pour the rest into ammunition, competition, and training- then replace whatever small parts wear out over time than it is to spend $3k on the gun alone- for 99% of shooter's incomes.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is exactly why I stand by my statement that if I could do it all over again, I'd just buy a couple of Dan Wessons, SAs or Colts for .45ACP 1911s.

I just don't care anymore. Neither do my targets. I would've saved upwards of $15,000 over the years if I stopped pursuing all these builds. I've never noticed my sears breaking or production barrels having the lower lugs break in Colt, SA or DW. At 40k, your barrel rifling will be gone in a lot of areas. You'll have to get a new one regardless of who made it. And a new barrel means new barrel bushing. I'd get a new sear and FPS, firing pin, regardless of who made it at 40k round count for safety reasons.

A lot of 'smiths make beautiful guns, and the 3k+ price tag is worth it if you like the way it looks and it gives you the warm fuzzies and peace of mind. I get it. I still have some of those. But the only 1911 out of them that made people go "WOW" when they shot it was an ACW that could could put 10 rounds on top of each other at 25yds.

I will say that my Wilson Combat CQB in 9mm has been dead nuts reliable in 9mm in it's short 2.5k round count, but I have not found that to be true in my samples with Colt, SA or DW. With them building their own mags to the tolerances they've created for their 1911s, it just runs. I also don't baby it and it rides in G-Code kydex. I do value that - experience has taught me that in 9mm, these things can be finicky, so buy from a company that cares about how they build it. Granted, my samples are from years ago... Keith is also fantastic when it comes to warranty work at DW.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    Let me know what weapons you have with 30K+ rounds through them that you haven't replaced a barrel, bushing, or parts of the FCG. Any gun that gets 30k through it without replacing those parts is lucky. I probably have 10k through mine, almost all on the clock, and zero issues.

It's also way more strategically advantageous to buy one of these marginalized POS pistols, like a TRP, and pour the rest into ammunition, competition, and training- then replace whatever small parts wear out over time than it is to spend $3k on the gun alone- for 99% of shooter's incomes.
    When I was a Single Stack nut I had two Springfield Custom Carries in 45, one with almost 60K, another with about 10K. The one with 60 chipped a sear because I had a mainspring that stacked. No trouble out of the other one. The 9mm ate about 25K with a broken extractor at at 1200 rounds. Installed an Aftec and no trouble afterwards. I still have the 45 with 10K, but I don’t really shoot 45 anymore.

I had Alchemy build me a Colt that a buddy has now and it’s over 100K. It’s had one extractor and the tritium fell out of the front sight. It’s on it’s 6th season of USPSA and it shoots a match every weekend and trains at least one day during the week. I blame the broken extractor on 47D magazines.

I have a Wilson 9mm that I’ve been shooting since the end of February and it’s at 6K. No trouble at all. I haven’t even cleaned it.

Proper fitting is just as important as the quality of the parts, maybe more so. I broke the head off a disconnector at some point during all that but I’m pretty sure it was on an STI Trojan I briefly had.

The problem with fixing each part when it breaks is that pretty much everything works together and they hold up best when they’re built all at once. Having a gun that goes down is a PITA.

My main caveat when it comes to talking 1911s is this: There is no such thing as economically feasible when it comes to playing the 1911 game. If you’re on a tighter budget and want to shoot, play Production/SSP. You’ll build just as much or more skill and be able to do it for 1/4 or less of the cost of shooting Single Stack. 1911s are about 1911s. It’s not about just a tool in the toolbox, it’s not a way to save money.
    Last edited by 17K; 06-07-18 at 19:44.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Dude, the 1911 just isn't that complicated.

Also, congrats on the 60k one that only needed a sear- there's a thread in here with like 88k who's been through like 3 barrels. You must have some soft loads.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The majority of them were 200gr LSWC at the old 175 power factor. All the 9mm is 124-147 factory.

Lead bullets are easy on a gun. Keep ‘em wet and filthy and they chug and chug along in a nasty oily slurry.
    Last edited by 17K; 06-08-18 at 20:24.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for all the discussion here, again this site has helped me to focus from millions of options to a handful just like when I bought and built my first AR.

I'm in the market for a nicer than plain 1911A1 in 45ACP and have settled on either a duty coat Dan Wesson Valor or a Les Baer Premier II. Seen pictures of both at 5-25K rounds and the Valor Duty Coat (nitrocarborizing/meloniteish/teniferish metal treatment) is winning for finish durability, while the Premier II impeccable fit and finish details after many thousands of rounds is impressive. Seems like pros and cons to both in a similar price range, just edging out the SA TRP at #3 choice. Going to see both across town on Saturday.

As I've been a Glock trigger safety handgun shooter my entire adult life, already looking for some Handgun 101's with the 1911 so I can carry it competently.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I’d go with Dan Wesson over Baer every time. Higher quality and better fit/finish.

If you’re good with carrying a Glock, you’ll be fine with a 1911. Just train, train, train on the safety.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789