Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training for Teachers

Feedback Score

Training for Teachers

How many members here are Teachers and have had active shooter training, or, like in my state, training to certify you as a Student Protection Officer (SPO). I saw that the course can be taken at Mizzou, and have emailed a local college who said they offered it too (Still waiting on a reply).

Here is my dilemma, with this training I am good to go in regards to carrying while at work, BUT the board has said "no" quickly following the Senate bill allowing it in 2014. Should I get the training anyway!? The cost at Mizzou was $1,800. I can't see my local university charging that much but I'm sure it will still be expensive.

Thanks,
    Doom
    Last edited by Dr.Doom; 02-25-18 at 09:45.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Your school board sees you as expendable to the cause if they won’t allow you to carry on campus. I would spend any extra money I had finding a new job in a different district/state that won’t use your death to push a gun control agenda.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokie View Post
    Your school board sees you as expendable to the cause if they won’t allow you to carry on campus. I would spend any extra money I had finding a new job in a different district/state that won’t use your death to push a gun control agenda.
    That has crossed my mind, but I'm in a very conservative area and have several concealed carrying co workers. I'm going to push and see what happens. I've been talking to our local police academy and I may be able to take the course without my board backing me. At least I will up my medical game that way. The down side to that is the 1700 tuition.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I am confused now. Your coworkers carry? So are you allowed to carry on campus if you pay your own way for an SPO course?

Feedback Score
    I have taught 4-5 ISD's here in Texas "Guardian Programs." Shoot me any questions you have.

Paul/CSAT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Doom View Post
    How many members here are Teachers and have had active shooter training, or, like in my state, training to certify you as a Student Protection Officer (SPO). I saw that the course can be taken at Mizzou, and have emailed a local college who said they offered it too (Still waiting on a reply).

Here is my dilemma, with this training I am good to go in regards to carrying while at work, BUT the board has said "no" quickly following the Senate bill allowing it in 2014. Should I get the training anyway!? The cost at Mizzou was $1,800. I can't see my local university charging that much but I'm sure it will still be expensive.

Thanks,
    Doom
    $1800 seems a bit much, esp if its out of pocket. Try to find another place cheaper for training if the school allows.

Feedback Score
    Not at work, just communicating that despite a liberally dominates occupation we have a lot of conservative teachers and admins here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokie View Post
    I am confused now. Your coworkers carry? So are you allowed to carry on campus if you pay your own way for an SPO course?
    Thanks! I just spoke to my principal and he said insurance for the school if I carry will be astronomical. I plan on researching insurance options.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howe View Post
    I have taught 4-5 ISD's here in Texas "Guardian Programs." Shoot me any questions you have.

Paul/CSAT
    It's 120 hours of training. I think if the board selected my to be an SPO they would pay, bout it's sounding like it will never be brought up to the school board.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    $1800 seems a bit much, esp if its out of pocket. Try to find another place cheaper for training if the school allows.

Feedback Score
    The experts on the TV have been saying it is a bad Idea !!!! join the other sheeple and think what the TV tells you what to think. Actually I would rather have the teachers with the ability and where with all to be armed to be so. For the children.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Too bad you don't live in Ohio
    FASTER Educator Response Training
    http://fastersaveslives.org/about

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Doom View Post
    Thanks! I just spoke to my principal and he said insurance for the school if I carry will be astronomical. I plan on researching insurance options.
    After Sandy Hook one of our local school districts announced they were going to let teachers with concealed carry permits carry.

A week later they announced that no, they weren't, due to the fact their insurance carrier said they would drop the school district if they allowed teachers to carry.

Seems the insurance carrier felt it would be cheaper to pay for murdered students than ones who might be accidentally shot by a teacher during an active shooter situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast