Thread: Know anything about the new "FNAR" in 308?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Know anything about the new "FNAR" in 308?

I ran across this new "FNAR" rifle, looks like sort of a cross between an AR, and ....something. It's chambered in 308. You can get it light barrel, or heavy barrel, with a difference of about 1 pound.

Just curious if anyone knows anything about these, or thinks they may become a viable choice for a .308 semiauto. Bud's gunshop has them in stock for $1350.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/55808

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Looks like a good platform for a DMR or precision rifle, but I don't think it would be suitable in an MBR role. I think they can be had for a significantly lower price if you look around.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I finally got to pick one of these up and handle it yesterday, at a gun show. You can see the description at the following link, plus if you click the "View Larger" button, they have a cool dynamic zooming application that will let you zoom and inspect any part of the rifle up close (from a side view).

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/fi...22&mid=FNM0136

My initial impression was positive. Obviously I'd have to shoot it first before I could have any idea what it'll really be like, but it seems like a well made, well thought-out design. Some who don't like the looks of the rifle say it looks ugly, sort of like an AR blended with one of the Browning semiauto "BAR" hunting rifles. I guess it kinda' does, but I'm not super worried about the aesthetics on a rifle like this.

The particular dealer was selling it for $1390 at the show (I've seen one online for $1350), so that gives an idea of the range for street prices. The one I was holding was the "light" version, and it was really well-balanced and comfortable to hold. I really liked the wide design of the fore-end, especially if one was shooting offhand in hunting (or combat) situations. It also has a built-in bottom rail in the forward position on the hand guard, for mounting bipods, grips, sling attachments. The buttstock is good design too, I think: it has sort a high comb to give you a cheek weld that puts your eye at the right height for shooting through optics or iron sights. Another plus is that they have a built-in milspec rail on top of the receiver for optics. One thing that is not clear to me is what options you'd have if you wanted to mount iron sights. Obviously on the rear you'd attach to the rail, but on the front, there's nothing on the barrel to mount a sight, so that's a question mark. Seems to me if they're going to create a sort of "utility rifle" like this, they'd want a bit better provision for mounting BUIS.

Anyway, though I'm not planning to buy one for now, these do look like interesting rifles and I'll be interested to see if they develop any following (assuming they don't get banned).