Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: G19X w/ Shooting Results

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Review: G19X w/ Shooting Results

Summary of observations after about one month with my G19X. These are based on shooting this gun almost exclusively during that time, uniformed LE carry, plain-clothes and CCW carry, public and LE demonstration and instruction, and some USPSA club matches. Information following is based on actual first-hand experience carrying and using the gun, not conjecture or third party information. There are no pertinent disclosures.

Unboxing

Blue label guns are flowing slower than commercial. 19X is priced higher than other gen4 and 5.

The box is brown, and includes all the usual manuals and safety brochures.

The gun is supplied with 1-17rd mag, and 2-19rd mags, four color matched M and L backstraps with and without beavertails.

Shipped with standard Glock NS.

The polymer has colorant throughout, the coyote is not an external application.

Slide cover plate, barrel, sights, and controls, and internals are black or silver.

Front corners of slide and dustcover are blended.

First Shots

Immediately after purchase, I took the gun to the range with an assortment of carry and training ammo from my armory. No inspection, cleaning, or lubrication was done. I opened the box, filled magazines, and fired 400 rounds of various drills in a little over an hour. There were no malfunctions. The Glock OEM night sights shot POA/POI. Ammunition used:

• 200 rounds BHA 115 FMJ
    • 50 rounds BHA 115gr TAC-XP
    • 50 rounds Speer GDHP G2
    • 50 rounds Federal 147 HST
    • 50 rounds Speer Lawman 147 TMJ

Slide

Depending on the lighting, slide appearance is dull copper, bronze, FDE, sand, gold, and shades in between.

RSA is marked 1_7. The same RSA is in the gen5 G19.

The inside of the slide forward of the ejection port takes on a purple color in some light.

Late in this process I replaced the OEM night sights with Ameriglo Agents, #GL5517. These sights were GTG in all types of lighting indoors and outdoors. 147gr rounds run a smidgen high, but everything else is at or near enough to POA to not bother with further fine-tuning. Target below is 10rds standing offhand at 25yds.

Barrel

The new GMB shoots as well as I am capable of, and better shooters can wring it out further. When shooting 25yd groups off hand my overall group size is comparable to gens 1-4. I do notice smaller clusters of my well-placed rounds in the 9/10 rings.

Receiver

The extension/lip at the bottom front of the mag well is no bother, and extends no lower than the magazine floorplate it sits in front of.

Mag well dimension is gen4 type, no flaring.

Lanyard ring is easily removable, press a punch into the hole and pull lanyard ring. Reinstalls as easily.

The magazine release has a rounder edge and seems like it stands out a bit more than gen5 G17/19s on hand. Part number for the 19X release is #8794, gen5 is #7534. I like the 19X release better.

19X trigger with trigger bar is #39701, ejector #47021. Gen5 trigger with trigger bar is #39701, ejector #30274. The trigger press on both is a smooth rolling break without apparent wall. I perceive that the 19X is a little smoother.

Checkering on front strap, back strap, and side panels is 11-1/2 lpi on the gauge.

Fouling is obviously much more apparent on the coyote receiver than black. My frame is stained in a few spots, but it’s of no matter to me. Some will be bothered by this.

Magazines

Magazine spring in the 17rd is 10-coil. The 19rd (+) mags it is 11-coil.

(+) extensions are the same design as the existing 7151 black.

Pmag 17s and 21s were used at various points and work fine.

Concerns over gen5 magazine compatibility are overstated. The number of G19Xs in circulation is low. Gen5 G17/34 and their magazines are still outnumbered many fold by earlier versions. It’s largely a non-issue for the vast majority of users, and a 19x user can easily swap or tweak gen5 floorplates.

Holsters

Holsters for existing gen1-4 models mostly work. If they flex or otherwise have clearance for the right side slide stop lever no mods are needed. Tightly molded kydex may need to be remolded or trimmed. Some duty holsters were tight enough that the gun dragged at the slide stop during presentation. Those bodies or their liners will need to be trimmed, molded, or replaced. My daily use holsters have been a Safariland 7390 and CCC Shaggy AIWB. The 7390 required no modification. I trimmed a small notch in the Shaggy for the (r) slide stop.

Concealing the 19X requires no more effort than a G17 or G34, which I have also done for extended periods in similar applications.

Shooting

As of this post precisely 2,838 rounds of 15 unique cartridges have been fired through the gun. There have been five shooters, ages ~15-50, four men and one woman.

• 50 Black Hills Ammunition 115 TAC-XP
    • 1392 Black Hills Ammunition 115 FMJ
    • 90 Black Hills Ammunition 124 JHP-XTP
    • 37 Black Hills Ammunition Honey Badger
    • 90 Federal 147 HST
    • 90 Speer 147 GDHP G2
    • 100 Speer Lawman 147 TMJ
    • 100 Federal AE 115 FMJ
    • 50 Blazer Brass 115 FMJ
    • 50 Blazer Brass 124 FMJ
    • *100 ICC Green Elite 100 lead free frang
    • 135 Remington Disintegrator 101 lead free frang
    • 162 Speer Lawman 100 RHT lead free frang
    • 338 Ultramax 115 FMJ reman
    • 54 Winchester 115 FMJ (Q4172)

There was only one malfunction with the ICC Green Elite lead free frangible. This is not uncommon and the ammunition has a spotty history with me. All other ammunition functioned reliably. Range activities include OH, SHO, WHO, exaggerated minimal gripping.

The 19X is a shooter’s gun. The 19-length slide cycles, lifts, and returns quickly with little to no muzzle oscillation. The full size grip allows full-handed control, a quick master grip at the holster, and additional (internal) ammunition capacity. Despite criticism of the 19 slide on a 17 grip, I found this much more favorable for actually running the gun than a 17 slide/19 grip configuration.

I found the 19X particularly agreeable when shooting SHO and WHO. It was most pronounced during an extended session with my ballistic shield, which creates irregular support, angles, and sight pictures.

Inconsistent ejection pattern and so-called “BTF” was evident with some combinations of shooter-task-ammo. In other combinations, ejection was strong and consistent. During the 1911 extractor test only about 30% of cases ejected via the port. Most of the remainder went down the well. A few stove-piped. The last round in any given magazine extracted and ejected properly without stoppage.

Accelerated finish wear to the barrel and slide stop levers is evident, and much greater than previous Glock generations. Earlier (gen1-4) haven’t shown such wear for tens of thousands of rounds of shooting and handling. There was no parts failure or corrosion, just cosmetic effect.

Didn’t Dos

Other than sight replacement and the gl9 pmags, I didn’t check any aftermarket parts or their functionality, nor any swaps of OEM parts between any other Glocks. Other owners will have to supply that information. No WML use yet.

Wants

A 19X in black. Current color limits sales for agency, individual LEO, security, and other professional users. Many are overly concerned with color, and this gun isn’t an option for them as-is. The public is largely indifferent, and only gun-guys commented on mine during uniformed carry.

Include the orange high-visibility follower of the gen5s in any future 19X magazines.

Make the 19X available with other gen5 OEM sight options, such as the Bold/FBI.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    ST911,

Have you shot a Gen 5 G17? How does this compare? I'm looking to get one of these two pistols in the future as I bought some magpul glock mags before the election in case things when nuts again and now I figure I should buy the gun to match the mags. I've got XXL sized hands so standard G19's don't work for me. I've had one before and the grip is too short.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Thanks for the detailed review, I'll second all of your wants. This appeals to me more than the Gen 5s at the moment. I wonder why the ejectors are different though.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What an awesome review!

Considering I had questions you answered when I was interested in the 19x Model.

Detailed, but quick and to the point. Well written and informative with great insight into multiple roles.

Feedback Score
    86 (99%)
    Very well done and thank you ST911. My agency frowns on anything not "tactical black" so I have high hopes Glock releases them in black at some point.
    9/11/01
    Never forget, Never forgive

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sndt1319 View Post
    Have you shot a Gen 5 G17? How does this compare? I'm looking to get one of these two pistols in the future as I bought some magpul glock mags before the election in case things when nuts again and now I figure I should buy the gun to match the mags. I've got XXL sized hands so standard G19's don't work for me. I've had one before and the grip is too short.
    I think the 19X shoots a little flatter, tracks more easily, and returns to level a little quicker that the gen5 G17. At some point we're down in the weeds, but it's there if you know what you're seeing. I've been telling people on the fence between a 17 and an X to get the X. If for no other reason, you're getting extra capacity mags, night sights, and some additional resale value for little more money.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Great review! Would you elaborate on what the 1911 extractor test is please...

NC

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    Great review! Would you elaborate on what the 1911 extractor test is please...

NC
    Very common test for 1911s, I think pioneered by Hilton Yam. I’ve never understood why people do them on any other gun though, I believe it is pretty specific to the 1911 and not really applicable to other platforms.

Fire 16 rounds without a magazine inserted. 8 two handed, 8 strong hand only. Cases must eject between 2-5 o'clock. If a case goes forward, left, stovepipe, to the face, or falls through the mag well, the pistol has failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Very common test for 1911s, I think pioneered by Hilton Yam. I’ve never understood why people do them on any other gun though, I believe it is pretty specific to the 1911 and not really applicable to other platforms.

Fire 16 rounds without a magazine inserted. 8 two handed, 8 strong hand only. Cases must eject between 2-5 o'clock. If a case goes forward, left, stovepipe, to the face, or falls through the mag well, the pistol has failed.
    I believe Yam got it from Vickers who got it from Hackathorn - at least that's what I recall Yam having said in the past about it.

To add: The test is chiefly one aimed at ensuring the pistol has appropriate tension from the extractor on the rim of the spent case. If there is insufficient tension - whether it's because the extractor spring (when applicable) is worn, the extractor geometry is off, or whatever - the spent case can slide up/down/left/right on the breach face (hence removing the magazine, which can sometimes act as a guide on the spent case to get it to be retained well enough by the extractor to hit the ejector), which can then induce the ejector to impact the round in funny places and cause the ejection pattern to be erratic. Or allow the casing to fall down the mag well.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Deleted due to low knowledge base.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-07-18 at 20:54.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast