Thread: U.S. Optics SR-6 1.5-6x

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

U.S. Optics SR-6 1.5-6x

Does anyone here have experience with the U.S. Optics SR-6 1.5-6x optic ? I understand it is discontinued but I have the opportunity to buy one locally at a reasonable price.

Pros and cons ?

Is the 1.5x an issue given many “1x” scopes are not actually 1x?

I’ve used the original 1.5x Aug optic and a 1.25-4 Leupold without issue.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I can speak to the 1-4, and IMHO, the design is dated. I think the glass or lens coatings are behind the times now. My close friend shoots one. Next to my Razor 1-6, there is NO COMPARISON, the Razor is MUCH brighter. More pop, and the glass is cleaner. The U.S. Optic has a reputation as being hell bent for strong, and I have no reason to doubt that it is. But, you don’t exactly hear about Razors going down either. I have, or have had, a good number of LPV scopes. For the $$ vs what you get, the U.S. Optic, in that power range is a non starter for me.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I considered one when I was looking for an optic for a 7.62 AR before they were discontinued. I’d likely still buy one now if the price were right. I have a USO 1-4 and while I too feel it’s a little dated, especially in weight, it’s still a very solid optic. Reticles designs are well thought out and useful, too.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I just picked one up a while back from on here and I had some hesitation before purchasing due to the 1.5 on low end and yeah sure the glass "being behind the times". It all comes down to can you find a good deal and will it suit your needs? I was looking to purchase a Razor and I think they are still currently the best for a reason, but for the money? I got my SR-6 for a steal on here, it was easily half the price of a Razor and I figured I'd test it out after a lot of testing other options.
    I hated the weight and features for cost of the newer Trijicon 1-8, but I think for the same price and even that of the Razor, the newer Nightforce 1-8s coming out are awesome. For the size, features, and glass clarity, they're pretty awesome and will be my next purchase for optics someday when I can justify the cost.

Back to the SR-6, I think it's actually a great optic for it's place, and I have come to not have an issue using it in 3 gun, 2 gun and some various steel matches, or more often the shooting I use it for for the mid-range 300-500 yd work. Granted, I carried a fixed 4x ACOG for a long time on my service rifle so anything variable is nice to me but I've also had some use of fixed 1 powers, putting the 2 together, I haven't had much noticeable difference with the 1.5x. The scope is a bit hefty, but I don't really mind it and it's balanced well on my rifle with a bobro mount, which can also be hefty.

I love the reticle and it has really been a nice change from MOA for me, but again that's a personal preference. MOA is great and easy to use, but I've tried to use this for a bit more precision at the end of my ranges. For reference, I use it with 77gr in a kind of DMR build or on my 3Gun build.
    Last edited by ShotgunMiddie; 03-29-18 at 09:24.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One thing about the US Optic you could use it as a club and put it back on the gun and it would still work, the dang things are tanks!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by feedthemlead View Post
    One thing about the US Optic you could use it as a club and put it back on the gun and it would still work, the dang things are tanks!
    It’s true!