Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reasons for Multiple Lights

Feedback Score

Reasons for Multiple Lights

I see some guys, like Travis Haley in the Magpul Dynamics DVD trailer, with multiple lights on their guns. Other than redundancy is there some other purpose with this?
    "God made Cops, so Firemen could have Heroes."
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Feedback Score

Multple lights

Try shooting around the right side of cover when you're using a light mounted at 9 oclock, or vice versa.

Backlighting, self-blinding, and projecting farther than necessary beyond cover come into play.

Working a light mounted at 9 oclock is difficult to do with your right hand (think RH shooter transitioned to left shoulder and is now firing with left hand and using right hand to support the rifle/work the light.

Tape switches can alleviate this to some degree, but can offer problems with WLNDs, and the cord getting snagged. A light mounted at either 12 or 6 oclock can also be an improvement.

As for myself, in addition to the above,I like using a X200B for indoor work, and a 6P with 160 lumens for outdoor work, so I have both.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPT KIRK View Post
    I see some guys, like Travis Haley in the Magpul Dynamics DVD trailer, with multiple lights on their guns. Other than redundancy is there some other purpose with this?
    In Travis' past (Force Recon US Marine) and then some other jobs overseas, involved clearing many hooches in a day.
    Lights go down (dead batteries, bulbs go bad). In his instance the 'NY reload' (2nd light) worked best for him. He needed a light instantly, sort of the two-is-one, one-is-none method.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    As gotm4 stated, redundancy is one reason but also if you have something mission specific such as an IR light.

I just started mounting 2 lights on my AR so that I can activate a light shooting strong side or support side.
    Last edited by Treehopr; 11-03-08 at 10:33.

Feedback Score
    Murphy's Law.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    travis' "second" light is an IR illuminator by surefire.

"you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    I have two lights on my AR, one is a sure fire X200 that I switch between my glocks and the AR the other is a M952 that stays on the picattiny rail all the time, the M952 has a beam that will reach futher, and the X200 has a whiter much wider beam, but then again I use mine outside for critter patrol , where that helps me out alot. plus if Im out for to long and my batterys start to die on my M952 the X200 is still going strong.
    Last edited by cronus5116; 11-02-08 at 22:29.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    When I see a whole bunch of crap piled on AR's I think POSER, unless of course you are actively serving in the shit, or on the street I just can't fathom piling 5 pounds of crap on a defensive carbine. But what do I know.... I don't write or teach.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW-Shooter View Post
    When I see a whole bunch of crap piled on AR's I think POSER, unless of course you are actively serving in the shit, or on the street I just can't fathom piling 5 pounds of crap on a defensive carbine. But what do I know.... I don't write or teach.
    While I can agree that having 2 lights, an IR designator/Illuminator, a 3x magnifier, etc. on your home protection gun is excessive, surely though you must agree having a good quality light on a "defensive carbine" is the one "accessory" that is non-negotiable. Especially given that you can go buy a SF G2 and a VTac mount for around $60.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SW-Shooter View Post
    I tend to agree. I am a minimalist to the bone. But I do feel a sling and a light are mandatory. Those are the two things you almost can't do without on a defensive rifle. And I have run 2 lights on my gun in the past.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast