Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Choosing a Beginner Handgun

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kastl View Post
    LI can't think of a manufacturer other than Glock that doesn't have a model with a safety or decocker. Kahr, too, I think.
    As in, they sell at least one model that does have or have the option of a manual safety?

Because a whole hell of a lot of models out there obviously don't have them, with some models from other manufacturers not having the option, same as Glocks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I carry a SIG P226 at work, keep it at home bedside, and have a P228 for carry. But I do not recommend the da/sa system to new shooters. I think it's the hardest system to learn, but I stick with it because I've been using it for decades, I'm familiar with it. If a new shooter insisted on using it, I'd help them learn it. I work as a part time instructor for a small department where you buy your own weapon, and I've seen the transition from a pistol with no safety/decocker to a pistol with a safety/decocker give folks problems. It was new & unfamiliar to them, and required multiple admonitions to the shooter to ensure proper use of the pistol. I'd rather they were trying &/or wanting to use a nonexistent safety, or decocker, than vise versa.

The last part where you quoted me I wrote "they MUST know how to properly use the firearm when they move on to new guns." I may not be the one to help them learn later on with that new gun, so I stress the importance of knowing how to use different ones. But in general I see a newbie as someone talking their first steps into the gun world and I want to instill in them good habits for later on.

My gut feeling is that there are probably more guns with a safety or decocker than without. Does this sound like horseshit?
    I have no problem with your methodology, especially with shooters that may rarely handle their pistol.

One of the self-inflicted pistol wounds I handled at our range involved a recruit using a Sig220 during our night shoot, which at that time occurred after their firearms training block. He apparently made all the mistakes, forgot to decock, maybe even finger on the trigger when holstering, and bang a duty round in his thigh, out his thigh, in his calf, out his calf. It was good practice for my semi-rusty EMT skills.

Point being, this older recruit was relatively fresh from a concentrated block of firearms training, he had done dry drills on the line, at dusk with floodlights on, going through every stage of fire. An hour or so later he was late firing a shot, the self-imposed stress of that caused him to short circuit his recovery to the holster and an ND with injury was the result.

As detailed, these incidents most often happen when a relatively inexperienced person is operating outside their comfort zone. It also bites seasoned folks in the butt once and a while.

Unknowingly holstering a cocked DA/SA pistol, or a SA with the safety off, is a recipe for disaster. So I can see your point. I may not totally agree, but I do see your point.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 03-02-18 at 20:40.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    As in, they sell at least one model that does have or have the option of a manual safety?

Because a whole hell of a lot of models out there obviously don't have them, with some models from other manufacturers not having the option, same as Glocks.
    If I understand your question then my answer is yes, provided that your omission of the decocker option was inadvertent.

You're also correct in that almost all manufacturers make models with neither safety or decocker, and these may well account for the majority of new handgun sales. And I do think that a well designed & manufactured pistol with no safety or decocker, with good training, and sufficient practice, is the way to go for a defensive handgun.
    Last edited by LMT Shooter; 03-03-18 at 03:13. Reason: Clarification

Feedback Score
    Consider a military surplus pistol like a cz50/70 or similar.

They can be had for $200. .32 acp won't kick much. Decent SA trigger. Enough grip to hold, reliable. Not very loud or blasty. More reliable than .22's.

Sights can be on the small side. Just put some white paint on the front blade and they work fine.

But if you don't mind a .22 and want something new and inexpensive a Bersa would be a good choice.

A revolver in .32 or .38/.357 (steel frame) would also be a great gun to learn with. Just be sure to use the weakest loads available and let them start shooting SA to get the fundamentals down.
    Last edited by Ron3; 03-03-18 at 11:03.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If I understand your question then my answer is yes, provided that your omission of the decocker option was inadvertent.

I'm not sure I followed our posts well, but: I can not think of a manufacturer that does not sell a single model of handgun with either a manual safety or a decocker, at least as an option, other than Glock. There are individual models not available with a manual safety or a decocker, but the manufacturer of those models offers other models that can be had with manual safety or decocker.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    I'm not sure I followed our posts well, but: I can not think of a manufacturer that does not sell a single model of handgun with either a manual safety or a decocker, at least as an option, other than Glock. There are individual models not available with a manual safety or a decocker, but the manufacturer of those models offers other models that can be had with manual safety or decocker.
    I agree.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Find a rental range where the person can handle and shoot a few different pistols and form a decision on what they like best.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Find a rental range where the person can handle and shoot a few different pistols and form a decision on what they like best.
    Always excellent and cost saving advice imo. We can debate forever, but the individual needs to put rounds down range to really see what gun works the best for them
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    LGS had a very lightly used M&P Compact 22 so my immediate problem is solved. Great grip size for smaller hands (HEY S&W MAKE AN 8 ROUND SHIELD MAG 9mm ABOUT THIS SIZE) but doesn't feel like a toy.

I really want to like the 320 for a 9mm so far. The grip seems to be quite easy to get comfortable on in relation to trigger reach and getting a straight to the rear press. That is with the medium grip, if I could find a small grip I think it could be the best fit for smaller hands that I've seen. What was wrong with the 250, besides not being striker?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456