Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing a Beginner Handgun

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Similar to why CAVDOC said, does it have to be centerfire?

I really like Smith and Wesson’s M&P in .22LR. Work all day on good mechanics with a round that’s as easy on the wrists as it is on the wallet.
    Last edited by Achilles11B; 02-27-18 at 23:13.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My Wife shot my G17 so well she had to have her own G19 three months later.
    I would have wasted a lot of time, energy and money by not starting her with a Glock.
    It's a very individual thing, so why not try the Glock first?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    CAVDOC nailed it.

I'll add that I want a new shooter to have a gun with a manual safety.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Choosing a Beginner Handgun

M&P 9 has worked very well for me, though the 2.0s texturing may be too aggressive. Their .22 seems promising, though I’ve yet to shoot one. Or a 1911 in .22 or 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I'd go with an M&P 2.0 compact or a PPQ M2.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    In a full-size, VP9 or Walther PPQ...both have great triggers, customizable grips that work well for smaller hands. I own both (along with a G19). I'd probably favor the VP9. In a compact, I'd opt for a Walther PPS M2.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I always found it to be a little scary giving new shooters SA guns. Too much to remember to do and sometimes you can see them thinking.... what's the next step. That extra step with the safety and finger off the trigger throws many off. They're fine once they get going but it's the beginning where they have to pick up the gun, aim, take safety off while keeping finger off the trigger then shoot.

SW model 10 K frame 38spl is a great gun to learn on. Older used ones are only around $300, often less. Throw in a set of rubber grips for a better grip with less felt recoil for $20 and you can shoot it all day.

For DA semi autos a used SW 5906. Although it depends who youre teaching. Some people have problems with the weight of the gun. It's around 40oz. It balances well, the DA is 10# but smooth and doesn't actually feel like 10#. Between used police trade Sig 226, SW 5906, Beretta 92 there's a some solid options for DA around $400. I dunno if I'd spend HK money to teach someone unless it's something I'm doing for a living. CZ has many options as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My first pistol was a S&W M18 .22 6 shot revolver, I still have it. A good DA revolver will teach trigger control and economy of ammunition. What about a good .22 top end for one of your existing pistols? I have one for my Colt government .38 super and I use for teaching new shooters along with the afore mentioned Smith wheelgun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    What about a Beretta 92? I've taken a 92 out, a couple glocks, a few revolvers, and a 1911 out for new shooters before. The Beretta got a lot of trigger time, easy to shoot, low recoil, accurate. There is something there. Granted, a lot are going to slam the DA/SA trigger. But, if we are taking a new shooter and working with them on the basics, and getting comfortable, and not to be high speed face shooters out of the gate. A 92 isn't bad for that.
    +1 for this. A lot of the criticism for the M9 is from bandwagon haters... it's a good gun for the reasons pointed out above
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I regularly work with a lot of beginners of all ages. My new shooter guns are G19s and K frames. I'll use the occasional rimfire, but found the "start-with-a-22" shtick to be far less valid than we think. Instructional method matters enormously. If not a fan of the G, pick your 9mm mid to full size favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kastl View Post
    I'll add that I want a new shooter to have a gun with a manual safety.
    Why? When are they no longer a "new shooter" for purposes of that safety usage?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast