Thread: Wish they would bring back the Savage 99...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Wish they would bring back the Savage 99...

I really do think someone could successfully compete with the Browning BLR by reintroducing the Savage 99 with modern updates in production and materials.

TED

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Savage 99 has been fairly high up on my want list for a while. I can't see myself buying a new one, however, unless they were extremely attractive price-wise. That assumes the quality would be as high as the originals, and that is a large assumption.

Feedback Score

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    I really do think someone could successfully compete with the Browning BLR by reintroducing the Savage 99 with modern updates in production and materials.

TED
    I agree. But they need to replicate OLD production and materials.

Okay, make it like those of old but add a rail on top and thread the muzzle.

Make it a 16 inch barrel take-down version in 5.56, .300 BLK, 7.62x39, and maybe a couple other non-magnum rifle cartridges.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Make it a 16 inch barrel take-down version in 5.56, .300 BLK, 7.62x39, and maybe a couple other non-magnum rifle cartridges.
    The closest you may ever get is the BLR Black Label Takedown Browning did.

There really is something fun about a lever gun. Uniquely American and timeless.
    Industry Disclosure: I work at a local gun shop.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I agree. But they need to replicate OLD production and materials.

Okay, make it like those of old but add a rail on top and thread the muzzle.

That is an excellent idea! Even the original .300 and .250 Savage cartridges were excellent until magnumitis came along. Well, also the .243 killed off a lot of sub-.308 cartridges! So I would add .243 to your list of chamberings for an ideal light woods walk-around deer/varmint rifle. I really like the lines of the 99 Savage.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    You are a typical gunner we all wish and look out for new stuffs to suit our needs, remember you can always build a custom rifle.

The .300 Savage is used for everything by folks in the Rocky Mtns. The .300 Savage was the parent of the .308. It is very easy to reform a .308 to a .300. Back some 50 years ago the 250-3000 Savage was considered to replace the .30 Caliber U.S. Military rounds. Too bad the Armalite M-15 was chambered in the 5.56 the bastard child of the failed old Remington .222 Mag. But hey Remington belonged to E.I. Dupont Co. the mega military contractor. See any connection here. We could have had a 6.35 driving 120 grs bullet at near 3,000 with modern powders