Thread: NFA question for the "experts"

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

NFA question for the "experts"

So after the recent changes to the NFA making it easier for an individual to apply without the need for CLEO sign-off, I submitted a form one to SBR a lower, my first one... After doing this I applied and interviewed for a job out of state, the hiring process is long and it may be a non issue but I'm wondering how this would impact/effect my NFA application?

If for some reason my tax stamp is not approved before I move what is the process, do I contact the NFA to update them, or wait for its approval (assuming the stamps are forwarded to my new address) and then contact them about moving the SBR to another state? I guess the same dilemma applies to a suppressor purchase, as I want to get that process started and not wait months to find out if this job is a go or not...

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

JP

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    @bigwaylon

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    How long ago did you put in your form 1? What is the definition of long hiring process?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    based on my past dealings with the NFA branch the answer will probably be different depending on which examiner you get. sad I know
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jp0319 View Post
    So after the recent changes to the NFA making it easier for an individual to apply without the need for CLEO sign-off, I submitted a form one to SBR a lower, my first one... After doing this I applied and interviewed for a job out of state, the hiring process is long and it may be a non issue but I'm wondering how this would impact/effect my NFA application?

If for some reason my tax stamp is not approved before I move what is the process, do I contact the NFA to update them, or wait for its approval (assuming the stamps are forwarded to my new address) and then contact them about moving the SBR to another state? I guess the same dilemma applies to a suppressor purchase, as I want to get that process started and not wait months to find out if this job is a go or not...

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

JP
    This would be much easier if you'd submitted as an entity.

Regarding the Form 1, there's a pretty good chance your stamp won't get forwarded, based on what I've read. No personal experience with it, though. You might be able to talk to an examiner and submit a 5320.20, and they can approve it at the same time as the Form 1 and they'll mail both to your new address. The firearm itself isn't an NFA item just because the Form 1 is approved. So you could take it with you in its current config without any issues. I guess another option (if you could get in touch with the examiner) is to have the approved F1 mailed to a different address that's in the first state. Then file a 5320.20 to move the item, and ask them to mail it to the new address. Once that's all done, make the firearm.

The approved Form 4 goes back to the dealer. The problem is you'll have to fill out a 4473 at the time of transfer (I'm assume you are using a dealer). And you won't be a resident of that state at the time of transfer. If you filed as an entity, you could have another RP pick it up and fill out the 4473. Even if you still had your driver's license from the first state, you'd be lying on the 4473 if you went back there to pick it up but weren't really a resident. The proper procedure would be to cancel the current F4, transfer the suppressor to a dealer in your new state (tax free via F3), and file a new F4 from the in-state dealer.

Those are my initial thoughts...others will have ideas as well.

Feedback Score
    Form 1 trusts are running just under 200 days right now, a form 1 individual is running about 180. With luck, you'll be OK. I'd wait for it.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I submitted my Form one in December, the ATF cashed my check on 18 Dec. The hiring process varies, its a government job so there are lots of layers, I don't even know if I have been chosen for it and I interviewed over a month ago.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yeah, I applied as an individual largely because it was faster, I think I'll be ok for the SBR but not sure that will be the case if I buy a suppressor now and have to move in October.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Call the ATF. They are very helpful folks.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American