Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Dick's does not want your stinking assault cash (RETAILER UPDATES)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post

However, Cabela's (owned by Bass Pro) has more firearm and ammo sales than Dick's and those people that buy that stuff will not be going to Dick's any longer for anything. They won't be able to stay afloat with cleats, jock straps, and turkey fryers for long.
    I suspect that the True Believers that would boycott Dick's are a relatively small percentage of firearms owners. Plenty of Fudds to keep Dick's afloat. Time will tell.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I suspect that the True Believers that would boycott Dick's are a relatively small percentage of firearms owners. Plenty of Fudds to keep Dick's afloat. Time will tell.
    This is true. And plenty of fudds who think dicks is doing the "right thing" because no one needs a semi auto for deer. And let us not forget gun owners can be some of the cheapest mother****ers around. In the name of saving one penny...
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I haven't spent a dime there since they pulled their EBRs after Sandy Hook on general principle alone and I have no doubt I am a part of a small percentage that have done so. All I had ever purchased from them before that was apparel and ammo when they had a sale once in a blue moon. They will more than likely now begin to cater to their athletic client base.

Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    This is true. And plenty of fudds who think dicks is doing the "right thing" because no one needs a semi auto for deer. And let us not forget gun owners can be some of the cheapest mother****ers around. In the name of saving one penny...
    Dick's is one of the most expensive places to buy anything as is Gander Mountain. Not that Cabela's/Bass Pro is cheap mind you. Around this part of the country places like Academy Sports & Outdoors and even Wallyworld do a lot of business in the hunting and fishing market because of their price points.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score

Dick's is one of the most expensive places to buy anything as is Gander Mountain. Not that Cabela's/Bass Pro is cheap mind you. Around this part of the country places like Academy Sports & Outdoors and even Wallyworld do a lot of business in the hunting and fishing market because of their price points.
    In my area, Dick's occupies the building once rented to Sportsman's Warehouse. SW opened a store here 10-12 years ago, closed it a couple years later, and reopened just a few months ago in a smaller location. The location they used to have (now occupied by Dick's) is much larger, and SW carried more stuff when they rented that building. I'm hoping Dick's will go under and SW will move back to that building. SW and Academy have had way more firearms-related items than Dick's ever had. I like to shop for things like optics where I can actually handle them. Dick's never had more than a token inventory as far as I'm concerned. SW and Academy, on the other hand, have always had enough inventory that I could look at several examples before buying.

I'm quietly hoping that if Dick's folds it will help SW and Academy's business.

I don't care if the pundits are saying the gun issue has nothing to do with Dick's woes: the fact is that even if it's not the cause of their problems, they can't afford to piss off a segment of their customers if they are experiencing problems already.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 03-15-18 at 14:20.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    In my area, Dick's occupies the building once rented to Sportsman's Warehouse. SW opened a store here 10-12 years ago, closed it a couple years later, and reopened just a few months ago in a smaller location. The location they used to have (now occupied by Dick's) is much larger, and SW carried more stuff when they rented that building. I'm hoping Dick's will go under and SW will move back to that building. SW and Academy have had way more firearms-related items than Dick's ever had. I like to shop for things like optics where I can actually handle them. Dick's never had more than a token inventory as far as I'm concerned. SW and Academy, on the other hand, have always had enough inventory that I could look at several examples before buying.

I'm quietly hoping that if Dick's folds it will help SW and Academy's business.

I don't care if the pundits are saying the gun issue has nothing to do with Dick's woes: the fact is that even if it's not the cause of their problems, they can't afford to piss off a segment of their customers if they are experiencing problems already.
    I miss Sportsmen's Warehouse, they had a store here and closed it after the second Bass Pro and second Cabela's opened in the region. Great prices and selection IMHO, I bought a fitted Sako (formerly Valmet) ball cap there for crying out loud! No one else carries swag from gun manufacturers like that.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Dick's does not want your stinking assault cash (RETAILER UPDATES)

Most if my local gun shop buying is at Sportsman's or a little rural gun shop I drive by often. They have better prices than Cabela's. Unpretentious outdoor fun store with some guys with actual knowledge ( guns not so much but good on archery). I've bought a lot of single boxes of ammo, rimfire, powder and bullets, dies, case prep stuff, rifles and scopes, and gun cleaning supplies at SW.

Used to run over to Dick's for the kids' and then grandkids' sports stuff and some apparel for me just because they are so darn close. No more.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I haven't spent a dime there since they pulled their EBRs after Sandy Hook on general principle alone and I have no doubt I am a part of a small percentage that have done so. All I had ever purchased from them before that was apparel and ammo when they had a sale once in a blue moon. They will more than likely now begin to cater to their athletic client base.

It may be different in other areas of the country but here in SE Pa Dicks doesn't have much of anything in the way of firearms. Never did. There may be 20 different firearms broken down into several groups.
    A. Lever action.
    B. Shotguns. 99% hunting
    B1.pump
    B2. Break open
    C. 22LR
    C1. Ruger 10/22
    C2. All other 22lr
    D. AR in a hunting caliber. 308, 243, 7mm-08...etc.
    E. Bolt action

That's it!

I only know of one person who's ever bought a rifle from them. Years ago they had a sale on Remington 700 ADL for something like $300. A friend who bought one. Anyone who actually wants a firearm goes to a gun store. The few times I was in Dick's all I saw were soccer moms with their kids buying school sports related products or casual fishermen.

Personally I've never seen a reason to shop at Dick's. Even before Sandy Hook, although I sometimes did use them as a price comparison.

Gander mountain tried to sell here. Didn't work. Lasted about a year. We also don't have any near by Bass Pro, Cabela's, Field and Stream, Academy or any other big box stores. Honestly I don't think they'd last long. We have several very good stores around here that have great selections, much more personal and priced below anything the big guys. I could be wrong though but in such a big sprawling suburban area you'd think by now they'd open at least one.

Anyway, I believe Kain is right. Gun owners are by and large cheap and driven by bling. 9 times out of 10 a pimped out Taurus will sell faster than a used Glock even if the prices are near identical. Product A is "just as good as" product B. Not that there's a problem with getting a good deal but most gun purchases are made by feelings and looks.

If Dick's all of a sudden offered 22lr for $5/box there would be a line from the door to next Tuesday.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post

Gander mountain tried to sell here. Didn't work. Lasted about a year. We also don't have any near by Bass Pro, Cabela's, Field and Stream, Academy or any other big box stores. Honestly I don't think they'd last long.
    Pretty much the same here. Gander Mountain closed last year...Dick's just opened a store here. I haven't been in there yet. I don't think they sell guns or ammo, but I'll have to see what they have for biking gear and outdoor clothing. Size-guessing from Amazon can get tedious.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think another unintended consequence will be the hammer on Golf Galaxy. I didn’t spend nearly as much at Dicks as I did at GG’s shop. I know I’m just one guy, but my wife and I were pretty prone to spending a couple grand each season on clubs/gear/golf balls/apparel. Most of the folks I know who partake of the shooting sports and golf have committed to abandoning GG as well as Dicks.
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by _Stormin_ View Post
    I think another unintended consequence will be the hammer on Golf Galaxy. I didn’t spend nearly as much at Dicks as I did at GG’s shop. I know I’m just one guy, but my wife and I were pretty prone to spending a couple grand each season on clubs/gear/golf balls/apparel. Most of the folks I know who partake of the shooting sports and golf have committed to abandoning GG as well as Dicks.
    I assume Galaxy Golf is owned by Dick's?

It's gonna get harder and harder on one trick pony specialty stores. Just look at Toys R Us.
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast