Thread: TRP Range report

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

TRP Range report

I picked up my used TRP that was supposed to have 100 rounds down the pipe. I asked the guy if he had any work done, he said no. However, it has a Wilson Combat extended slide stop on it. Hence he may have forgotten to tell me he bought it used hmmm. It was in otherwise good condition, but not 100 rounds. Its SS, and it may have a different extractor in it because the colors were not perfect?? Very close but slightly off.

I loved the slide stop except ironically , it wouldn't lock back on Wilson combat mags but would with a Colt 7 rounder, Chip 10 rounder and the SA mags that came with.

I guess Ill buy another slide stop. Anybody have a best idea for slide stop? Nighthawk or Brown or I don't think Wilson because this one didn't like my gun.

Trigger and all was good. Shot just fine.

I took out the goofy one piece screw in non sense guide rod. I will change the front sight to one with a Novak that has a white circle around it so I can pick it up with my old eyes.

Im OK, not thrilled with my new TRP, wish I was thrilled but sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes....

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 02-28-18 at 18:48.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I picked up my used TRP that was supposed to have 100 rounds down the pipe. I asked the guy if he had any work done, he said no. However, it has a Wilson Combat extended slide stop on it. Hence he may have forgotten to tell me he bought it used hmmm. It was in otherwise good condition, but not 100 rounds. Its SS, and it may have a different extractor in it because the colors were not perfect?? Very close but slightly off.

I loved the slide stop except ironically , it wouldn't lock back on Wilson combat mags but would with a Colt 7 rounder, Chip 10 rounder and the SA mags that came with.

I guess Ill buy another slide stop. Anybody have a best idea for slide stop? Nighthawk or Brown or I don't think Wilson because this one didn't like my gun.

Trigger and all was good. Shot just fine.

I took out the goofy one piece screw in non sense guide rod. I will change the front sight to one with a Novak that has a white circle around it so I can pick it up with my old eyes.

Im OK, not thrilled with my new TRP, wish I was thrilled but sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes....

PB
    The guide rod in mine got yanked too. Other than that, which was just an irritant, after an extractor tension adjustment mine's been pretty good.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    was it failing to lock open with Wilson 47D magazines by chance?

I've found in my limited experience that Springfields tend to have a lot of spring pressure coming from the plunger spring. You can modify your existing one but it doesn't cost much to pick up a replacement or like a "small parts" kit with a handful of springs and pins just in case. Then try trimming a coil off at a time from your plunger spring, make sure the safety still stays positivrly engaged, and verify that when hand cycling all magazines positively and full engage the slide stop lever in to the notch in the slide.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I've always used the 10-8 slide stop.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I've used EGW or Wilson "Bullet Proof" slide stops/extractors.

EGW you can different diameter pins (which go through frame) and can help "tighten up" a sloppy barrel fit.
    Wilsons "Bullet Proof" parts are guaranteed "forever". I also like the the small ledge on the Wilson (Below- on Frankengun range pistol).

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks for the feedback. So last night after the range trip, like I said, I took out one piece goofball GR. I replaced the recoil spring as the spring in the gun looked cheap. Don't ask me why I felt it look cheap, but it did.

I replaced it with a new spring and I could tell the slide felt like my other TRP when racking the slide. A little more difficult. I grabbed a handful of mags to try locking back and it locked back better when racking the slide. If I rocked it as hard as I could, it would miss so I don't know if I am faster than 45 ammo??? Ill see if it locks back with ammo today and verify.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    New recoil spring fixed the problem 100% with ball and home defense loads.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Nice.
    Are you running a 16#?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Nice.
    Are you running a 16#?
    Well Im not exactly sure. Here is how this went down. The NHC I just grabbed had a Wilson Combat fancy skinny GR deal and spring installed into it. I think they call it their flat are kit. The guy pulled his NHC spring out and put in the case where he sent all the garb. I just grabbed that spring, so what ever NHC uses, it what it was. Not sure how much help that was. I may call NH and ask what they use.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sevin8nin View Post
    was it failing to lock open with Wilson 47D magazines by chance?

I've found in my limited experience that Springfields tend to have a lot of spring pressure coming from the plunger spring. You can modify your existing one but it doesn't cost much to pick up a replacement or like a "small parts" kit with a handful of springs and pins just in case. Then try trimming a coil off at a time from your plunger spring, make sure the safety still stays positivrly engaged, and verify that when hand cycling all magazines positively and full engage the slide stop lever in to the notch in the slide.
    yes , if thats their newest and greatest with the larger pad on the bottom.