Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Krieger Barrel break in on 18” break in suggestions. Have new kac on the way.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Same guy I know is ringing 2” gongs at 600y with a .223 and Krieger barrel.
    Sounds like this guy is a renowned competition shooter whoever that may be? 2 inch gong at 600. If consistently making hits that is good shooting. Whats that, 1/3 moa shooting? Not saying it can't be done. What's the hit rate? What gun? Comp bench gun? Etc..

On the KAC guns I see no reason to not follow Jack's advice if that's what they see best results with..
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 03-02-18 at 07:32.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    Sounds like this guy is a renowned competition shooter whoever that may be? 2 inch gong at 600. If consistently making hits that is good shooting. Whats that, 1/3 moa shooting? Not saying it can't be done. What's the hit rate? What gun? Comp bench gun? Etc..

On the KAC guns I see no reason to not follow Jack's advice if that's what they see best results with..
    Call me crazy but whoever that shooter is should be representing our country on the Olympic shooting team.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Call me crazy but whoever that shooter is should be representing our country on the Olympic shooting team.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...04#post2599204

Aww. Thanks guys.

Noonesshowmonkey was there to watch it all go down. It was a great day. He is good people.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CLee0509 View Post
    I was just having this same conversation today with a buddy. I don't get why this is so hard for people to understand. Break in procedures are not needed. When you shoot then clean, shoot then clean etc., all you are really doing is extending the time your barrel "breaks in" so to speak.
    There are two significant benefits from a break in process:
    1: It will help reduce copper and fouling lamination in the throat over the long term, which will get you longer intervals between serious cleaning, and helps prevent those areas of accumulated fouling from breaking free between cleanings, which can result in significantly different practical results.

2: It helps keep the shooter from overly focusing on group sizes and group shift before the barrel finds the right level of fouling. A perfectly clean bore is not often the most consistent bore condition, and obviously an excessively fouled bore is not the most consistent, but a correctly fouled bore will be the most consistent. That proper fouling is rarely less than 20 rounds, and usually a rifle is getting into its grove at around 50. Of course, there are outliers, but this holds true enough that I won't record dispersion data unless I have at least 50 rounds on the gun.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Jack,

Was there ever any thought of giving the LPR a 16" barrel instead of an 18"? Can you elaborate as to why you went with the 18"?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by methical20 View Post
    Jack,

Was there ever any thought of giving the LPR a 16" barrel instead of an 18"? Can you elaborate as to why you went with the 18"?
    I have many 16” so I wanted 4-12 scoped 18”. WTH. I’m just me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My 18" CLE spun Krieger barrel(not in a KAC gun mind you) took about 150-180 rounds to settle in to a groove... I think the first 50 were cheap XM193, then I started to work loads over the chrono. Its a consistent 1/2 MOA shooter now. I have never completely stripped the bore of copper. Never felt I needed to take the bore back to basically nothing and build it back up again.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    All my cut rifled barrels seemed to be that way.

Feedback Score
    It was my understanding, that as of the last couple years, KAC stopped exclusively using Kreiger barrels and simultaneously changed the barrel profile to something thinner in the newer LPR's. Is this still not the case? I just looked on their website and see no mention of Kreiger in the LPR description.

Feedback Score
    Bore snake a few times after zero. Or if you don't mind waiting, Barnes CR10 and then confirm zero with match.

About 60-70 rounds in, so far pretty happy with my Krieger, worth the wait but very heavy, got the varmint profile. Unlike my 16" DD barrel which only shot well with PPU match ammo, the Krieger is consistent with just about anything match.

100y-cold-barrel.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast