Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling shotgun experts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Calling shotgun experts.

So, I have the opportunity to buy an A.H. Fox shotgun for $300. Numbers say it was manufactured in 1914 and is an A grade. It seems to have way more ornate engraving than any other A grade I’ve seen. He says it functions, but I don’t believe he’s fired it seeing as he’s saying it’s a 28g but serial numbers say it’s a 20g. Here’s the part I’m having a hard time with, my limited research is saying this is a $2-5000 shotgun for $300. What do you guys think?
    Attachment 50785

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Buy it yesterday. Anything with that amount of engraving is worth 300 bucks, from that era, and if it turns out it is worth as much as you think, then so much the more awesome.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Dude- if you dont want it..can I call DIBS? Seriously- GET THAT. NOW. Then give some details and more pics later please.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    So, I have the opportunity to buy an A.H. Fox shotgun for $300. Numbers say it was manufactured in 1914 and is an A grade. It seems to have way more ornate engraving than any other A grade I’ve seen. He says it functions, but I don’t believe he’s fired it seeing as he’s saying it’s a 28g but serial numbers say it’s a 20g. Here’s the part I’m having a hard time with, my limited research is saying this is a $2-5000 shotgun for $300. What do you guys think?
    Attachment 50785
    That's pretty low end engraving. It could have been done after the gun left the factory. IMO it is worth 300 bucks as a conversation piece to hang over the fireplace. I wouldn't get too hung up on what it might be worth.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Buy it yesterday. Anything with that amount of engraving is worth 300 bucks, from that era, and if it turns out it is worth as much as you think, then so much the more awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Dude- if you dont want it..can I call DIBS? Seriously- GET THAT. NOW. Then give some details and more pics later please.
    I’m more than likely going to get it. The seller is away until Sunday, so I’ll keep you posted.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Calling shotgun experts.

Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    That's pretty low end engraving. It could have been done after the gun left the factory. IMO it is worth 300 bucks as a conversation piece to hang over the fireplace. I wouldn't get too hung up on what it might be worth.
    That did cross my mind about the engraving. The only thing that makes me think it was original, is that the manufacturers name is curved in the scrolling. Also, most of the A grade ones I’ve seen listed with no engraving range between $3-5,000. I have an email into a gun shop in Michigan that deals in these, hopefully they can help me estimate it’s worth. Like you said, for $300, it will look great over my fireplace.

ETA: The A grade is the low end of the grading for these. That might also explain the quality of the engraving.
    Last edited by Inkslinger; 03-01-18 at 08:02.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Ask the question over at http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/...s.php?ubb=cfrm. The double barrel shotgun experts hang out there.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Assumed you'd purchased it from all those pics! I would have grabbed it right there and then at $300, but I'm not a shotgun expert as to what it's actual value is. From what I see, a steal at $300 simply due to quality of the engraving, and such. Send the seller my contact and tell him I'll do $500....
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Assumed you'd purchased it from all those pics! I would have grabbed it right there and then at $300, but I'm not a shotgun expert as to what it's actual value is. From what I see, a steal at $300 simply due to quality of the engraving, and such. Send the seller my contact and tell him I'll do $500....
    The seller isn’t around until Sunday or it would be in my hands already.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As of right now, the seller decided to “research a little because he thinks he underpriced it”...good for him, bad for me. Thanks for the replies guys, but I have a feeling this is going to slip away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast