Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SPR-ish optic help

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Most people don't dial for wind, because the wind varies (generally) so you end up holding some of your windage anyway, and then you get confused about how much windage to hold vs. what you already dialed, and you have to remember to reset the windage turret to its zero after shooting. I think dialing windage is mostly for benchrest, and extreme long range where you would dial + hold but the required correction would make holding alone impractical. So, IMHO, having an exposed elevation and capped windage turret is not that weird and makes sense for typical usage. The LRHS is set up the same way.

If illumination is important, be sure to look through a NF SHV with illumination on before buying. Despite the name and reputation, NF doesn't offer very good illumination in the SHV and NXS series scopes. One of the reasons I sold my SHV and two prior NXS's is the uneven, mediocre illumination, plus the on/off only nature on the full size NXS models. I've read that newer high-end NF is better on this, but the SHV and NXS are not.

Solely for quality of illumination, the Burris XTRII and Steiner scopes are much better. The gen1 Vortex PST was also surprisingly good for illumination quality. I haven't seen a PST gen2 but I would hope they did at least as well.
    That makes a lot of sense. I figured it was probably just something I was missing.

Poor illumination would definitely bother me on a Nightforce. Even if I don't use it that much, that would definitely be a source of buyers regret for me.

I've seen a few comments about the PST gen 2 glass being comparable to the gen 1 Razors and the illumination being closer to the gen 2 Razors, which seems to be fantastic.

Are there any durability issues with the Vortex lines? I know their warranty is great, but durability is pretty high on my list. I'd rather have a great warranty that I never have to use.

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure how much weight will be an issue to you but the biggest recent bargain is the Weaver 3-15x50 tactical. This scope is being phased out (I think) and they used to go for around $850. Natchez had them on sale ridiculously low, like around $500. It has their EDMR reticle which isn't bad for shooting paper. I like mine.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I found this on snipers hide this morning. It’s not the 3-13 LRHS, but this is a killer deal:

https://www.gaprecision.net/bushnell...g2h-illum.html

4.5-18 LRHS for $750

I’m fighting the urge to buy one and put it in the safe for a future rifle.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skatz11 View Post
    I found this on snipers hide this morning. It’s not the 3-13 LRHS, but this is a killer deal:

4.5-18 LRHS for $750

Thanks for the heads up. I'm probably still a few months out from buying the optic since I need to finish up the build first.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Well, after some more research it looks like the durability is pretty inconsistent in the PST line (Gen 1 & 2) so I'm eliminating those from my options.

Right I'm leaning towards the NightForce SHV 4-14x50mm F1. I think I'll be more than happy with the glass and I can definitely give with the small sacrifice in magnification range to get NF quality and durability.

The uneven illumination might be a small annoyance, but I think as long as it's usable for lowish light it won't be a major concern.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dontshakepandas; 03-02-18 at 07:53.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

4.5-18 LRHS for $750

Wow, that's a great price.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Any thoughts on the Steiner T5Xi 3-15? I know it had some issues early on, but those seem to be resolved now.

It looks like it has a few improvements over the SHV and can be had for only a couple hundred more.

I really like the turret design and the SCR reticle. I prefer the FFP and that more of the reticle is illuminated vs the SHV.

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)

4.5-18 LRHS for $750

Depressed that sold out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Any thoughts on the Steiner T5Xi 3-15? I know it had some issues early on, but those seem to be resolved now.

It looks like it has a few improvements over the SHV and can be had for only a couple hundred more.

I really like the turret design and the SCR reticle. I prefer the FFP and that more of the reticle is illuminated vs the SHV.
    The T5xi is basically a near-high-end scope, with those issues early on. The Sniper's Hide bunch went all in then were all up in arms due to tracking and reticle alignment problems. Yes, I gather it's all been fixed, and Steiner seems to have good customer service if you end up with a problem unit.

Just to be clear, the SHV F1 4-14x50 is also a FFP scope.

I am very familiar with buying scopes online based on my research and reviews, because there are no stocking dealers within hundreds of miles of where I live. With that said, you need to get hands on with the SHV F1 and at least one competitor before you buy anything, because the differences in eye relief and illumination will be obvious hands-on but are hard to fully put in words. They are not in any way deal-killers for people generally, but you personally may or may not be OK with them.

With the type of scopes you've narrowed in on, I would also try to look through a Burris XTRII 3-15x50.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    The T5xi is basically a near-high-end scope, with those issues early on. The Sniper's Hide bunch went all in then were all up in arms due to tracking and reticle alignment problems. Yes, I gather it's all been fixed, and Steiner seems to have good customer service if you end up with a problem unit.

Just to be clear, the SHV F1 4-14x50 is also a FFP scope.

I am very familiar with buying scopes online based on my research and reviews, because there are no stocking dealers within hundreds of miles of where I live. With that said, you need to get hands on with the SHV F1 and at least one competitor before you buy anything, because the differences in eye relief and illumination will be obvious hands-on but are hard to fully put in words. They are not in any way deal-killers for people generally, but you personally may or may not be OK with them.

With the type of scopes you've narrowed in on, I would also try to look through a Burris XTRII 3-15x50.
    I should have been more clear on the reticle preferences. I like that more of the reticle is illuminated on the Steiner compared to the SHV. To get that on a Nightforce I'd have to go up to the NXS which is second focal plane.

I honestly don't think I'll use the illuminated reticle very often, but I can see it's usefulness in certain situations and if I'm ever in one of those situations I'd much rather have it than not.

Right now I could pick up the Steiner for $1300 after rebates where the SHV is $1250. They are both a little over my preferred budget but I don't have any issues with that as long as nobody tells my wife.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12