Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: *UPDATE w/Pic* Considering the Steyr AUG, have a few questions.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think the original NATO stocks made to allow the original AUGs fire AR mags might not have had a bolt holdopen on the last shot.

This was before they started manufacturing Steyr AUGs in the US (Not Microtech or TPD AUG clones).

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    I think the original NATO stocks made to allow the original AUGs fire AR mags might not have had a bolt holdopen on the last shot.

This was before they started manufacturing Steyr AUGs in the US (Not Microtech or TPD AUG clones).
    Already addressed up thread. Yes, they do have a bolt hold open. They just don't have a bolt release button, so you have to run the charging handle when you insert a new mag.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post

The actual piece in the hammer pack that holds the bolt open has a longer nose than the AUG magazine stock. It’s pretty simple to swap the part out if you change between stocks.

H

Feedback Score
    Well I bought it, a new AUG, green standard stock with the long rail. When it arrives at my FFL ill snap some pics. Excited to get it, thanks for helping me make up my mind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dreadpirateroberts View Post
    Well I bought it, a new AUG, green standard stock with the long rail. When it arrives at my FFL ill snap some pics. Excited to get it, thanks for helping me make up my mind.
    CONGRATS!! Since you went with the standard stock I will advise you that Steyr AUG factory mags can be expensive but if you are careful take your time and shop around you can get good deals. Steyr has a military LE program that includes mags, Pete Athens is the God of all AUG knowledge, parts, and service, CDNN at least used to have AUG mags at a good price.

Consider the Corvus upgrades, and keep an eye out for the ALG/Geissle trigger upgrade. If you don;t want to wait, the 2020 Sear upgrade available at Ratworx is a very good option. Also the NeuTrigger is another good option. IIRC they are compatible. Bladetech and one or two other places make a belt mounted open topped kydex pouch that is great for having a spare 42rd or 2 on the belt. Platatac of Australia USED to make a stock mounted mag pouch for the AUG which is the ONLY way to carry a spare mag onboard. You can find them on E-bay sometimes. They work and I love and recommend them. A 42rd mag in the gun and a 42rd mag on the gun is sweet for the house or the truck (heavy as hell though, I wouldn't carry or patrol with it like that).

Best wishes to you and yours, I know you will really enjoy it.

TED

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Also, BTW, sometimes you can find MSAR mags for marginally less than Steyr AUG mags. Sometimes. And, they are actually great mags, cross compatible, and work well. Additionally, 10rd MSAR mags, if you ever care to have a 10rd mag are far more available and less expensive than AUG 9rd mags. Lastly, MSAR had some 20rd mags (very difficult to find), whereas, so far as I know, Steyr never did.

Jus' Say'N!!

TED

Feedback Score
    Thanks TED for the info!

Feedback Score
    Another question, while I was ordering mags online I came across the AUG PMAGs. Are these good mags? or should I just stick with the AUG mags. So far I ordered 6 42 rounders and 6 standard 30 round AUG mags. Just wondering if I should pick up some Pmags as well?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dreadpirateroberts View Post
    Another question, while I was ordering mags online I came across the AUG PMAGs. Are these good mags? or should I just stick with the AUG mags. So far I ordered 6 42 rounders and 6 standard 30 round AUG mags. Just wondering if I should pick up some Pmags as well?

NEIN!!!!

No one uses P(overty) Mags in an Austrian rifle and no Austrian rifle can be paired with a handgun that isn't Austrian or German.

7n6

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    NEIN!!!!

No one uses P(overty) Mags in an Austrian rifle and no Austrian rifle can be paired with a handgun that isn't Austrian or German.

7n6
    Unless you're Australian, in which case you actually get deployed into combat, use PMags in your AUG, and pair your AUG with a Browning Hi-Power.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast