Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slick Sided AR and Left-handed Shooters?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

Slick Sided AR and Left-handed Shooters?

I’m looking to build or purchase one of Brownells Retro 601s. I’m a lefty and I’ve found conflicting reports of brass to face issues with slick-sided SP1s and A1s. Some say they suck for lefties and some say they have no issues what so ever. I qualified with a 601 in basic training back in ‘89 and don’t remember any issues. I’m interested in what experience folks here have had and what if anything (short of adding a brass defector) can been done to mitigate BTF for left-handed shooters using a slick sided AR? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

Ian from Forgotten Weapons reports that it depends on the ammunition and - to an extent - on springs. YMMV.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Thanks for the video. I’ve never aid much attention to ejection patterned as I’ve never had any issues on that end.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I really like the retro rifles and carbines, but as a lefty I’ve never been willing to chance buying one.
    I’d be interested in learning how to tune the springs for ejection.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm a lefty and built a slick-side retro. I have never been hit with brass by it. I didn't do anything to tune the ejection pattern; I just lucked out.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    They do make snap on brass deflectors if you are not using the scope mounting hole. I started out as a lefty in Army basic with M16A1 and was never hit but brass flying across my face was distracting so one day I figured out I could shut my left eye and converted to righty.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    After some looking I found this. From Armalite's Library, Tech Notes (Same applies to AR-15's):

TECHNICAL NOTE 34, ADJUSTING THE EJECTION PATTERN OF THE AR-10 RIFLE

Purpose:

To advise owners and gunsmiths how to adjust the ejection pattern of the AR-10B series rifle.

Background:

ArmaLite occasionally receives complaints that expended cartridges ejected from the AR-10 strike and damage the rifle’s upper receiver. The most common complaints are that the case spins and strikes either the case deflector or the front of the ejection port opening.

These ejection patterns are common to all AR-15/M16 pattern rifles. They are more noticeable on the AR-10 because the heavier cartridge case mars the finish of the receiver easier.

The ejection pattern of a rifle is created by a complex interplay of the opening velocity of the carrier group, and the extractor, ejector and their springs. In general, the faster the carrier group opens, or the stronger the extractor and ejector springs, the farther toward 12:00 (looking down on the rifle) the case is ejected. The weaker the springs are, or the slower the carrier group opens, the farther toward 6:00 the case is ejected.

ArmaLite seeks an ejection pattern between 1:00 and 3:00, and inspects for this characteristic during inspection. Obviously, the carrier’s opening velocity is subject to differences in ammunition. Springs can take a set over time, and the ejection pattern eventually shifts toward 5:00. This is normal, and readily adjusted by extractor spring replacement and ejector spring timing.

The extractor spring and plunger can be changed during routine cleaning. The ejector spring can be replaced if ejection is too far to the rear, or tuned by shortening it a coil at a time if ejection is too far to the front. Tuned ejector springs will be between a minimum of .950 and a maximum of 1.015 inch long.

As usual, selection of good ammunition minimizes complaints.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm a lefty and have a couple of retro AR rifles w/o brass deflectors.

Nearly all of the time it (brass hitting me) isn't a problem. But different brands/types of ammo eject in slightly different directions. After shooting one type of ammo, I went home with about 10 nearly perfect circles burned into the right side of my face.

I had been told about the ejector spring trimming trick, and also shaping the actual ejector (rounding off the edge closest to the ejection port). My retro's are just for range fun, so tinkering with the ejector/spring would at worst result in some aggravation. But since I only had problems with that one particular type of ammo, I just didn't shoot it in that rifle anymore.

Feedback Score
    When I shot the M16 the brass would either hit me on the cheek or go down my collar. After a few hundred rounds, I found the “sweet spot” on the buttstock for my cheek weld where the brass did neither.

Feedback Score
    I have a original brass defector that was made of fiberglass and it attaches inside the carry handle. They made these a long time ago along with the original brass catchers. i’ll try to find it to get you a picture of what it looks likeC5AB4CCF-9797-45E6-82FA-CAD850FA2763.jpg here is the brass catcher.
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast