Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Firing brass vs steel casings. Is there any negative with firing steel casings?

Feedback Score
    How much of the cheap steel case doesn't use a bimetal bullet?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kh86 View Post
    Some don't. I dunno...what do you mean how much? What %? Look at the box, it will say it

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    "lots of fouling" with steel-cased fodder? can't be more than when one uses brass-cased ammo with a suppressor, can it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hile View Post
    To expand on my previous post, the reason I won't shoot steel cased ammo through my carbines because of the potential for brass-cased ammo fired after steel to stick in the chamber unless one remembers to clean the chamber. Since the steel cases expand less than brass, one doesn't get the same seal when the cartridge fires that one would with brass, so you end up with more fouling in the chamber with steel-cased ammo. Not a problem until you go back to brass. When the brass expands, it'll get stuck because now the chamber is minutely smaller than it was previously.
    You know, I kind of have to wonder where this came from and how often it happens. I kind of could see an issue with older lacquer cased ammo and getting the chamber hot and then feeding it brass. But, with the powder coat or whatever is used currently I've done mix and match and not had an issue with sticking rounds. Hell, I would say the most common instances I have seen of rounds sticking in chamber have been steel cased ammo in general and not the mix master stuff, albeit in tight chambers, I'm looking at your RRA. Now, I'm not saying it can't happen, but I think the whole, "you must clean your rifle after shooting steel ammo before you shoot brass or it will stick" is overblown because some do make it out if you fire a couple groups that you have to clean it white glove before you can shoot brass cased ammo. Unless you are running a case or better of Wolf or Tula and running it really hard or stupid, I am not sure I'd get too bent out of shape. I certainly wouldn't worry if I run a couple mags of steel case and then chase it with some M193. I've done it, my BCMs don't care, maybe the first couple rounds come out looking a little smokier, maybe they don't. Either way I haven't had any malfs that I can trace back to the mix master.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by feraldog View Post
    "lots of fouling" with steel-cased fodder? can't be more than when one uses brass-cased ammo with a suppressor, can it?
    In the chamber, yes.

I think it depends on the chamber dimensions and how much steel you shoot before switching to brass.

If you shoot a case of steel and go to brass, might be an issue. Ive done a few mags of steel and a few mags if brass. The first few shots of brass look dirty, and clear up. Never had an issue.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-17-18 at 13:32.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    In the chamber, yes.

I think it depends on the chamber dimensions and how much steel you shoot before switching to brass.

If you shoot a case of steel and go to brass, might be an issue. Ive done a few mags of steel and a few mags if brass. The first few shots of brass look dirty, and clear up. Never had an issue.
    thank you

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kh86 View Post
    Some Wolf ammo doesn’t. I bought 500 rounds of Wolf .308 to run through my DD5V1. Wolf sells their steel cased .308 in both bi-metal and standard copper jacketed FMJs. I ordered the copper jacketed FMJs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't know in what calibers but they do make some

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234