Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 16" or 14.5 + pinned muzzle device

Feedback Score

16" or 14.5 + pinned muzzle device

Is the benefit of 14.5" over 16" barrel length so much to make it worth it to SBR a lower or deal with the pain that comes along with pinned/welded muzzle device? What real benefit does the slightly shorter length give you? I don't have experience actually fighting inside structures, but my gut feeling is that if I were going to be fighting in a predominantly urban area, I'd grab my 11.5 on either an SBR, a pistol lower, or a machine gun lower, depending what I had on-hand.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    The “hassle” is up to you. This question has been asked a lot on here.

It’s all about mission and what you want. There is little velocity gain for practical distance from 14.5-16.

If there was no NFA, what length would you make it?

I find pinning a 14.5 worth it because I pin it with the suppressor mount. I find an SBR lower is worth it for a 12.5 and under. A 16” with a suppressor Mount muzzle device could push it out to 18”. Now you have an SPR. . Add a can and you are ready for a pole vault. So take whatever “hassle” you are willing to have and enjoy.

One thing for certain, I would not SBR a lower for a 14.5 upper for multiple reasons.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    The “hassle” is up to you. This question has been asked a lot on here.

It’s all about mission and what you want. There is little velocity gain for practical distance from 14.5-16.

If there was no NFA, what length would you make it?

I find pinning a 14.5 worth it because I pin it with the suppressor mount. I find an SBR lower is worth it for a 12.5 and under. A 16” with a suppressor Mount muzzle device could push it out to 18”. Now you have an SPR. . Add a can and you are ready for a pole vault. So take whatever “hassle” you are willing to have and enjoy.

One thing for certain, I would not SBR a lower for a 14.5 upper for multiple reasons.
    I've got all 16s (or pistol lowers for the 2 11.5s). I may form 1 all of them just so I can do whatever I want later. At least if I form 1'd something that was 14.5, I could avoid the pin/weld if I had to rebarrel it or wanted to change the rail. All of my 5.56 rifles are going to get swapped to Warcomps once I get a SOCOM-RC2 sitting in ATF jail.

Feedback Score
    If tou like to have the latest/grestest new crap, dont do it.
    I pinned welded years ago and dont regret it. I would not sbr for 14.5”. 11.5”, yes. You could sbr a lower and have an 11.5 and 14.5” upper for it.

Since you will have a supressor, that takes changing muzzle devices out of the question, so pin/weld might be good for you.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-03-18 at 13:08.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This question gets asked all the time. Some people tell you to go ahead and pin it. Some are adamantly opposed to the idea. My most shot AR is a 14.5 carbine gas Daniel Defense lightweight with a pinned a2x flash hider. I tend to stick to A2 type muzzle devices and don't change them. Pin/ weld for me is not a big deal. Obviously if you want to be able to switch handguards, FH don't do it

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    You get almost nothing when pinning a 14.5" compared to a 16" carbine. It doesn't convey magical ninja skills or make you more agile. There is an additional cost for the muzzle device compared to a standard A2 for example, the cost of the pin and weld and then you are essentially married to the rail and muzzle device. Should you decide to change rails, muzzle devices, etc.. you then bear the additional cost of removing the pin and weld and re-doing it.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    A lot of people seem to think that the difference between a 14.5" pinned with a muzzle device and a 16" rifle with an A2 birdcage is about 1.5".

It's not; it's more like .7", depending on the muzzle device you run.

Not worth it, IMHO.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Slightly lighter, slightly shorter. Whether it's worth it or not is up to you. Decide what type of rail you want first, and you'll also obviously be stuck with whatever muzzle device you choose to pin on. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    14.5" pin and weld is worth it, without question. But, its worth mentioning, I know exactly what hand guards I'm going to be using and i use A2X muzzle devices and love the hell out of em. If you don't know what you want, go 16". If you know exactly what you want, go 14.5" P/W. I don't do anything NFA. Cant abide it.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I've done it both ways and do not think it's worth it. Over all length difference and weight is so negligible. You might think you will never want to change anything, and then something comes along and changes your mind.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast