Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barrel selection for a new build

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Any feedback on criterion barrels in pencil or hybrid profile?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Disregard longshot2000 comments on wolf. Wolf Gold is exceptional ammo for the cost.

Completely agree with kirkland, I have run at least 10k of Wolf Gold with no issues.

Feedback Score
    I want to circle back and update this tread. A couple of thoughts here- first, I generally don't like "what should I buy" posts. I asked because research usually means comparing specs, finishes, and marketing claims, since most of us are not able to test drive items on our wish list. I wanted to hear from experienced individuals, and I did- both here and by PM. Secondly, I decided to look at barrels as a consumable, even if I take an extended period of time to do so. The life cycle cost in ammunition far exceeds the cost of a barrel- make a choice and drive on.
    I decided to order a BRT Optimum LW w/ a pinned gas block because I believe the features are well thought out and past experience has shown me that that their products work as claimed. I also wanted to try the intermediate length gas system. I completed my rifle assembly last weekend and my favorite outdoor range opens in 2 weeks. I expect that there will be no surprises.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Take a look at Ballistic Advantage. I have a 14.5 medium Hanson profile barrel. Its was 225 with pinned lo pro gasblock, and comes with a sub moa guarantee.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I put a 16” Faxon pencil barrel on my wife’s AR. This with the other parts I used are it a very light and maneuverable gun. That being said, it heats up fast with the pencil barrel and after about 40 rounds accuracy opens up. We have never shot groups with it as she uses it to shoot steel out to 75 yards ( no issues hitting t that range).

I have been very pleased with the barrel and may shoot some grouping to see how it does.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    I've heard good things about Faxon, though I haven't used them. The lightweight barrels I have used (and like) are BCM ELW-BFH. But they'll run you about $300.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by G.B. View Post
    Take a look at Ballistic Advantage. I have a 14.5 medium Hanson profile barrel. Its was 225 with pinned lo pro gasblock, and comes with a sub moa guarantee.
    Yeah, I have a few of their barrels. Never had any issues, they have great customer service also.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewind View Post
    I want to circle back and update this tread. A couple of thoughts here- first, I generally don't like "what should I buy" posts. I asked because research usually means comparing specs, finishes, and marketing claims, since most of us are not able to test drive items on our wish list. I wanted to hear from experienced individuals, and I did- both here and by PM. Secondly, I decided to look at barrels as a consumable, even if I take an extended period of time to do so. The life cycle cost in ammunition far exceeds the cost of a barrel- make a choice and drive on.
    I decided to order a BRT Optimum LW w/ a pinned gas block because I believe the features are well thought out and past experience has shown me that that their products work as claimed. I also wanted to try the intermediate length gas system. I completed my rifle assembly last weekend and my favorite outdoor range opens in 2 weeks. I expect that there will be no surprises.
    You are getting close to the right answer here. For 95% of people a barrel should NOT be considered a consumable item. Since most people will NEVER shoot out their barrels either due to not having the $ to shoot enough or spreading all that ammo over several different ARs its a much better option to buy the best barrel you can afford.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12