Thread: 1-6x Viper PST Gen II: folding sight recommendation

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

1-6x Viper PST Gen II: folding sight recommendation

After deciding I needed to at least try a LPVO, I obtained a Vortex Viper 1-6x PST Gen II in an ADM Delta-C mount. The carbine it is mounted on had a set of DD fixed irons which I removed, and while I thought I could live with not having irons, not having a backup sighting system bugs me.

Does anyone have recommendations for a set of folding sights whose rear sight will clear the eyepiece? (Or maybe be able to tell me which ones definitely will NOT clear the eyepiece?) I'd prefer not going the offset irons route, but there isn't a lot of room there and I guess that I will do what I have to.

toc

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Troy folding sights are my favorite, though they don’t get a whole lot of love around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theorangecat View Post
    After deciding I needed to at least try a LPVO, I obtained a Vortex Viper 1-6x PST Gen II in an ADM Delta-C mount. The carbine it is mounted on had a set of DD fixed irons which I removed, and while I thought I could live with not having irons, not having a backup sighting system bugs me.

Does anyone have recommendations for a set of folding sights whose rear sight will clear the eyepiece? (Or maybe be able to tell me which ones definitely will NOT clear the eyepiece?) I'd prefer not going the offset irons route, but there isn't a lot of room there and I guess that I will do what I have to.

toc
    According the the ADM, Vortex and Troy published specs the Troy sight will work but be close. I really like the Bobro LowRider for a true back up but I wouldn't want to go to war with them. I don't know why you don't want offsets but,,, the Troy offsets are really nice if you mount both on the handguard. You have to decide why you want BU sights.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    MBUS Pros should work fine, I believe.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The Troy or MBUS pro should fit.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    From my early years I have been of a "belt & suspenders" mindset with irons and optics. I have actually had optics fail... but to be fair, they usually only failed because I bought cheap. My thinking is that I would not normally resort to the irons, but would like a reasonably durable and effective set nonetheless.

My reluctance to go with offsets is due mostly to the fact that I would need to very seriously rework mindset, memory and technique to be able to use them fluidly ("old dog, new tricks"), and they seem like one more bit of "snaggy" kit for me to break off or cause other objects to suddenly "komm mit." That being said, if they really are the new paradigm - something I am not in a position to judge - I'd be nuts to reject them out of hand. Are they actually going to be "all that and a bag of chips" long term?

A buddy does run BCM-branded Troy folders on a carbine and is satisfied with them, though I am not sure he has flipped them down more than a day or two in the years he has had them (go figure). Another friend had a set of the early Magpul pros that worked, but had some real or imagined issues that got him all verklempt, and he went back to the standard MBUS. I don't recall hearing about any issues with either the Troys or Magpul pros recently, so if they would clear that big honking Viper PST Gen II ocular, I would probably be okay with either.

I appreciate the responses.

toc
    Last edited by theorangecat; 03-05-18 at 06:21.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    I run MBUS Pros or MBUS Pro Offset Sights on all of my rifles that have magnified optics. No issues here.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    I am using KAC 600M micro sights with with a 1-6 Vortex Razor HD II, The ocular on the HD II looks to be the same size as the Viper Gen II. The KAC sights cost a bit more, but they work very well.
    I am just a regular guy, trying not to screw things up too much.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Went with the Magpul MBUS Pro set (that old instant gratification thing). The rear clears the eyepiece with room to spare.

The cat worries for naught... yet again.

Thanks to all who responded.

toc