Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Defense ar15 Ammo

Feedback Score

Home Defense ar15 Ammo

What do y'all run in your home defense rifles? I run Freedom Munitions Boar Buster 64gr, but looking for alternatives to stock up on. Looking for something reasonably economical. I've heard good things about Speer Gold Dot, Federal Fusion, and Winchester Ranger.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    This question has been asked and answered at least half a dozen times.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quality M193. Why does everyone get hung up on this, if I were engaging a target at over 100 meters then a better bullet would be useful.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Home Defense ar15 Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Quality M193. Why does everyone get hung up on this, if I were engaging a target at over 100 meters then a better bullet would be useful.
    M193 is garbage as far as terminal ballistics go, no matter the range. Short answer that many could probably agree on for availability and price would be Federal Fusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 03-05-18 at 13:37.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    M193 is garbage as far as terminally ballistics go, no matter the range. Short answer that many could probably agree on for availability and price would be Federal Fusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This. I dont like variability. 193 is all over the place in accuracy and terminal ballistics. Fusion is much more predictable, and performs better by almost every metric. Its also low-priced. Its the easy button, but there are a lot of options.

I suggest researching and looking up old threads. Training is most important, just get something decent(on docgkr’s list) and go train.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Inside the house or outside? What range?

There's been a bunch of pretty educated/experienced posts recently about inside-the-house defense and how a Glock 19 or similar might be a better option depending on your personal situation (house layout, wife/kids, etc.).

I'm 100% G19 with handheld flashlight for home defense these days. Tritium sights and several mags of Speer 124gr +P Gold Dot. My 6720 is essentially just a toy (and red dawn whatever).

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    There's been a bunch of pretty educated/experienced posts recently about inside-the-house defense and how a Glock 19 or similar might be a better option depending on your personal situation (house layout, wife/kids, etc.).
    Who in the world would fight for life with a friggin G19 over the carbine? Next we'll have the Bird gun lunatics chiming in.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Speer Gold Dot 64gr or Federal Fusion 62gr.
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Can you imagine missing someone with your carbine in a house, because it was 3 MOA shit. Think, I hit a guy 5 times in the chest with 77 grain Noslers, think he will call me out on it being target ammo. Its what my carbines are sighted in with so...

I do have some Gold Dots if I have to rack my BCM middy with my new ambi charging handle with my teeth, whilst hanging from a chandaleir and have to do a one hand carbine double tap. Just saying and Im bored. Go Gold Dots, they are cheap and pretty decent HD ammo.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 03-05-18 at 18:26.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Fusion MSR functions well and is accurate in my rifles, is reasonably priced, has staked primers, and performs well in gelatin and deer. It is also readily available pretty much anywhere. Its the only .223 pressure ammo that I actually like. I’m always looking for something “better”, mainly because I don’t like encouraging manufacturers to make .223 instead of 5.56 for “serious” ammo. But no matter what ammo I try out or research, I always come back to Fusion MSR for home-d and hunting. A notable exception is brown tip, which may or may not be a better choice for SBR’s, but is harder to obtain. I keep one mag on hand.

I shoot piles of M855 at paper and steel and always have 7 or more loaded mags on hand. I know that at close range, it works. So if ball ammo is whats in the gun, I wouldn’t feel unprepared. But bonded soft points are much closer to optimum.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast