Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Home Defense ar15 Ammo

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My cousin was killed several years ago by a guy who ambushed him to rob him. He took off running and was hit 8 times with 55gr Wolf. He made it up the driveway to the neighbors porch and lasted just long enough to beat on their door while calling his dad but not long enough to speak to him. Holes in the wrong places do bad things to human bodies.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Obviously both sides have some truth to them. You would be correct to say that shot placement matters far more than bullet type or caliber so you shouldnt fixate on what the latest and greatest bullet is. On the other hand it makes logical sense to leverage current technology and buy defensive ammo that both reduces risk and increases effectiveness to possibly reduce the rounds necessary to incapacitate an attacker. Take the middle ground, buy a few boxes of the any of the rounds in DocGKR list in the barrier blind or OTM variety then stop worrying about it and practice with whatever you can get.

What you shouldnt do, shoot 200 rounds every 6 months off a bench then proceed to spout on the internet that M193 is all they need which is what I suspect most people on the internet do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    M193 is garbage as far as terminal ballistics go, no matter the range. Short answer that many could probably agree on for availability and price would be Federal Fusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Surprisingly, my own personal experience from several years ago was completely opposite.

At HD/SD distances (<25m), the PPU M193 that I used performed significantly better than FF did. I found that inside 25m, FF expanded too quickly and, as a result, penetration was less than M193. I found that the M193 performed significantly better: every single shot fragmented and penetration was adequate.

Interestingly, I was also able to shoot slightly tighter groupings with the M193 than with the FF.

Anecdotal? Certainly. But I was convinced enough to stick with M193.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    Surprisingly, my own personal experience from several years ago was completely opposite.

At HD/SD distances (<25m), the PPU M193 that I used performed significantly better than FF did. I found that inside 25m, FF expanded too quickly and, as a result, penetration was less than M193. I found that the M193 performed significantly better: every single shot fragmented and penetration was adequate.

Interestingly, I was also able to shoot slightly tighter groupings with the M193 than with the FF.

Anecdotal? Certainly. But I was convinced enough to stick with M193.
    How deep did it penetrate and into what?
    The problem with m193 is it tends to not frament until it passes the vitals much of the time, especially in frontal shots.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    How deep did it penetrate and into what?
    The problem with m193 is it tends to not frament until it passes the vitals much of the time, especially in frontal shots.
    These were based on my own test circa 2010 using (uncalibrated) gel covered with an old leather flight jacket with a cloth liner. All shots were fired from 25 meters.

IIRCC, the PPU M193 penetrated 13" and the main expansion cavity began at around 3". And all 5 shots fragmented.

The FF penetrated a hair over 11" but the main expansion cavity occurred almost immediately.
    Last edited by Creature; 03-11-18 at 09:10.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123