Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Joining the 1-4 Variable Club

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    +1 for P4Xi. I haven’t had a chance to put a lot of use on mine yet, but it feels high quality and strong. The red dot is very bright. The reticle reminds me of an ACOG: the hashmarks are 18in wide at their stated range, so when shooting e-types, you just apply the hashmark that fits the perceived target size and squeeze the trigger. No thinking. Also, the holdovers aren’t based on some optimistic velocity. And I prefer second focal plane scopes.

Pretty much checks all the boxes for me.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I don't think that you'll be able to get the proper scope position and eye relief on an AR with that set up.
    To get both rings on the receiver the scope will be mounted too far back.
    I have a non-QD aero precision mount for my P4Xi.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Even if I use the Nikon P-series rings and both are mounted to the receiver? What's wrong with that combination (other than the fact that it's not QD)?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Here's the bottom line: I like Leupolds because of their superior light transmission. I think they're adequately rugged--maybe not ACOG grade but then again what is at an affordable price?

I probably will purchase a firedot scope at some point. Other than that a simple duplex reticle is probably the order of the day. I want speed and 0-200 accuracy. I also appreciate variable power because....variable power. I also appreciate a minimum of 1.5x because that helps barely visible targets stand out.
    It's good to know what you want. This is the scope you want:

https://www.natchezss.com/leupold-vx...3-8-matte.html

Original version Leupold VX-6 1-6x, duplex reticle, $650.

I have owned the same scope in "Firedot" version, and it was good. Great glass, very light. I had misgivings about durability, but probably unfounded.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Even if I use the Nikon P-series rings and both are mounted to the receiver? What's wrong with that combination (other than the fact that it's not QD)?
    As MM stated, it's unlikely you'll be able to get proper eye relief with that setup. FYI, Nikon's rings aren't super wonderful in general.

If you want superlight, get the Aero Precision mount, otherwise stick with the ADM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    It's good to know what you want. This is the scope you want:

https://www.natchezss.com/leupold-vx...3-8-matte.html

Original version Leupold VX-6 1-6x, duplex reticle, $650.

I have owned the same scope in "Firedot" version, and it was good. Great glass, very light. I had misgivings about durability, but probably unfounded.
    That looks like a great scope.

EDITED TO ADD: I ALSO NOTICED LOOKING AT IT ON OTHER SITES THAT IT'S A DISCONTINUED SCOPE.

I wouldn't worry too much about durability unless you plan to drop it down a cliff face or something. Leupolds are pretty durable.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 03-06-18 at 11:04.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    What's your budget? I like the Steiner P4Xi which is a lot of scope for the money and I like the ADM AD-Recon H.

Sport Optics has or can have the Steiner P4xi dropped shipped to you for only $439.99
    Last edited by Biggy; 03-08-18 at 10:41.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Rings alone won't work; you need a cantilever mount. You don't want to mount the rear ring to the receiver and front ring on the handguard rail.
    Here's the Aero Precision. Pretty darn good price. Have you ever heard of these being counterfeited? I always thought that was a $100+ mount.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    They're under $100 on the AP website. I got mine from optics planet for less. Everything has been counterfeited, including leupold scopes, so buy from a reputable place.
    Here's the Aero Precision. Pretty darn good price. Have you ever heard of these being counterfeited? I always thought that was a $100+ mount.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    That looks like a great scope.

EDITED TO ADD: I ALSO NOTICED LOOKING AT IT ON OTHER SITES THAT IT'S A DISCONTINUED SCOPE.
    Yes indeed, at a great price. You can also find the VX-5hd 1-5x for $50 more, or the current VX-6hd for $300? more.

Right now is a buyer's market for scopes. Almost any brand/model can be had at a discount if you look enough.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    They're under $100 on the AP website. I got mine from optics planet for less. Everything has been counterfeited, including leupold scopes, so buy from a reputable place.
    So is this the right one for the 1" Leupold? It looks like the "neck" doesn't extend as far as the one for 30mm. Is that a problem?

https://www.opticsplanet.com/aero-pr...-extended.html

WHOOPS! I think I found the answer:

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...t-Scope-Mounts
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 03-06-18 at 11:40.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast