Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Joining the 1-4 Variable Club

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    So is this the right one for the 1" Leupold? It looks like the "neck" doesn't extend as far as the one for 30mm. Is that a problem?

https://www.opticsplanet.com/aero-pr...-extended.html
    Which one to pick (extended vs. SPR) will depend on your scope and where you want the eyepiece to end up. I went with the SPR mount which puts my P4Xi further forward than the extended. You have to play around with your scope and figure out where it needs to be. Look at where the turrets end up relative to the receiver, then pick the scope mount that places the rings in the right place on the tube. A good point to start would be with the eyepiece at the end of the upper receiver. Move it forward or backward depending on how you shoot and the eye relief of the scope.

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/scope-mounts.html

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Using old Trijicon tr accupointnmodel w/ fire red triangle, and Trijicon accupower 1-4X green duplex. Picked
    up a PA 1-6X recently, but don’t have much time with it. I do find Trijicon glass tough to beat, at the price point, but would likely be using that Steiner if I already didn’t have the Trijs. Mounts are simple SWFAs cantilevers, but no issues reported.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a 1.25-4x Leupold VXR (similar eye relief to the Mark AR) in an Aero SPR mount and it just barely allows an NTCH weld.

Maybe you don't go NTCH, but the SPR mount gives some flexibility. For adjusting eye relief, it is A LOT easier to move it back on the upper than getting a too short cantilever forward and there is negligible cost in price and weight to get that flexibility.

I will also add that would be a super SUPER light combination. Scope + mount will come in almost a 1/4 lbs less than the 16 oz+ weight of typical lpv scopes before adding a mount.

A short (not the really nice included one) T-15 key will fit in a Magpul or BCM grip to get to the iron sights of needed.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 03-06-18 at 13:10.

Feedback Score
    I don't do nose-to-charging-handle. That's the main reason the only ACOG I really learned to love was the TA33.

Feedback Score
    I have the P4xi with the AP "SPR" mount, great scope with a non cluttered reticle and a very bright red dot. The SPR mount positions the rear of the scope over the charging handle which gives me proper eye relief. If Steiner made a P5xi or P6xi, I would be all over it.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

"Some of you would bitch if a hot blonde served you a perfect steak and beer of choice while naked and performed acts not described." Mark5pt56

Feedback Score
    I'd like to look into a Trijicon Accupoint with cross-hair-and-dot reticle. I'd have to handle one in person to see how the light transmission is, though.

Maybe it's my perception, but I don't think my TA33 ACOG has the same light transmission as the Leupold scopes I've owned over the years.

Feedback Score
    I’m running a Nightforce NXS 1-4X24 with the FC-3G reticle. Nice and bold reticle at 1X needs no illumination under daylight shooting. Does have a BDC and wind holds out to 600 that are valid at 4X. Otherwise the BDC is totally unobtrusive and barely noticed when just running off the the center segmented circle and dot. Made to zero at 200 yards, which is what I prefer, also end up with a perfect coincidence zero at 50 yards.

Eye relief is generous, and optical quality is in my opinion pretty good. A very slight amount of distortion around the edge of the field of view common to 1-x variables. I don’t really notice it while shooting. Light transmission seems very good. Color rendition is very neutral.

Scope is very short, fairly light, and reportedly very robust. My other Nightforce has proven to be extremely robust.

Mounted in a Nightforce Uni-Mount, which gives enough cantilever forward to shoot nose to charging handle if you insist. I have it set so the ocular housing is about 1” or so forward of the charging handle because I do creep a stock particularly in prone position or sitting cross legged. Mount is bombproof strong, returns to zero like a champ if removed and replaced, but is still reasonably light. Uses titanium cross bolts and nuts, probably unnecessary but saves a bit of weight and certainly strong. Lots of clamping force when torqued down to 65in-lbs, rock solid on the upper. The whole combination zeros easily and has never lost zero.

I run offset Magpul MBUS Pro sights on the DD V11 Pro this optic lives on, so a QD mount is not needed. In fact I hate QD mounts, but that is personal.
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 03-06-18 at 17:34.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Deleted due to low knowledge base.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-07-18 at 20:51.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post

Maybe it's my perception, but I don't think my TA33 ACOG has the same light transmission as the Leupold scopes I've owned over the years.
    To me, my VXR seems brighter than the P4XI even though the exit pupil on the P4XI is listed as quite a bit larger.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    I just received my Steiner PXI 1-4X from Sport Optics for only $439.99
    It will be going on a Sig MCX Virtus 300 9" barrel Blackout pistol in a Geissele high mount.
    Last edited by Biggy; 03-08-18 at 10:37.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast