Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Joining the 1-4 Variable Club

Feedback Score
    FYI: Grant has the Aero Precision mounts.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/Aero-Pr...fg_51-4-1.html

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I’ve been running the VX-R Firedot circle (111231) for about 5 years in a LT104 at work. I’ve got about 15 of them on the street in use. The reason I like that reticle set up is we have mostly eotechs in our patrol rifles. The fire dot circle was an easy switch when shooting up close. I also like that leupolds are fairly light weight compared to others. A couple of the push button switches stopped working and Leupold immediately replaced them. We have had no other issues with them. David

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitehorne View Post
    A couple of the push button switches stopped working and Leupold immediately replaced them. We have had no other issues with them. David
    This is why I think ultimately I will get a Trijicon Accupoint--as funds allow. I bought the Leupold for now to get me by and let me decide if I want to stick with that type of optic.

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I don't do nose-to-charging-handle. That's the main reason the only ACOG I really learned to love was the TA33.
    I was in the same boat. I loved the TA33. I tried the variable route a couple years ago but ultimately went back to the TA33 due to lack of daylight bright reticles or the eyebox was too small, the TA33 spoils you in that regard. I shoot ntch but still appreciate a huge eyebox.

I have since jumped on the variable bandwagon and I am very happy with the Steiner P4XI in an Aero SPR mount. The only other two variables I liked were the Accupoint 1-4 and the Vortex PST 1-4, BUT, the vortex wasn't daylight bright and the reticle options of the Accupoint are lacking for any longer range shooting.
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    so, Doc - it look like we're seeing a pattern here with the P4xi being a very popular choice for an affordable LPV. That should be at the top of your next purchase list.
    The problem I see with using the Leupold to make your decision about LPVs is that it's not a true 1x, and to me; it does detract for very close range drills like shooting on the move.
    This is why I think ultimately I will get a Trijicon Accupoint--as funds allow. I bought the Leupold for now to get me by and let me decide if I want to stick with that type of optic.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you use the Mr. Guns & Gear standard for true 1x (being able to co-witness irons like an Aimpoint) then the P4XI then it isn't a true 1x either, but less magnification than the VXR.

I like the VXR circle reticle better for catching the eye when not illuminated, but the P4XI holdovers are more useful.

I do think the VXR eyebox is more forgiving if the 1.25x isn't a deal breaker.

Illumination brightness is effectively the same. I like the auto on/off on the VXR, but much prefer the P4XI rotary dial instead of having to cycle all the way through levels to go up or down in brightness.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    so, Doc - it look like we're seeing a pattern here with the P4xi being a very popular choice for an affordable LPV. That should be at the top of your next purchase list.
    The problem I see with using the Leupold to make your decision about LPVs is that it's not a true 1x, and to me; it does detract for very close range drills like shooting on the move.
    I definitely will consider the Steiner. My thing is with optics: I want to handle one and actually look through it before purchase. Not a lot of people around here are going to carry the Steiner.

I've alway liked Leupold because of the superior light transmission. Even my TA33 ACOG doesn't seem to have this, although it could be my perception.

True, My Leupy is not a 1x; it's a 1.5x. My 50+ year-old-eyes actually appreciate that. As soon as I shoulder the weapon I'm looking at the target a little closer--not enough to cause over-magnification issues, but enough to be useful.

For CQB? I practiced in-house clearing with the Leupold and a weaponlight mounted to my carbine. No problem that I could see. That's why I opted for a simple duplex reticle and not a "busier" one. The duplex gives you the focal point without all the range-finding bells and whistles that you probably don't need if you mainly shoot 0-200.

Still, no optic is off the table if I can handle it and see its advantages in person.....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's the sucky part for me too and had to effectively take a leap of faith off written and YouTube reviews. Whether it was luck or research, I was happy with both purchases. Overall plusses for me, but with details of each I would tweak if I could which applies to most purchases.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    FOV on the PX4i is 110 ft at 1x and 27.5 ft at 4x and is true 1x, according to Steiner. It also has a constant eye relief through the magnification range. The Leupy VXR is 1.25x on the low end and has a 74.2 ft FOV at 1.25x and a 29.4 ft FOV at 4x. The VXR's eye relief distance also changes .430" thousands of an inch through its magnification range.

Feedback Score
    I sold my Accupower 1-4 "Green Reticle" to buy the Steiner, I do not regret my decision. The Accupower is fast on target with its segmented reticle, but it is definitely not daylight bright.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

"Some of you would bitch if a hot blonde served you a perfect steak and beer of choice while naked and performed acts not described." Mark5pt56

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast