Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Joining the 1-4 Variable Club

Feedback Score
    I own the P4Xi with an Aero SPR extended mount. I'm pleased with the clarity and that little red dot. The sun fills those red dot holes with light

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    You’re not going to get a true 1x from any scope less than $1k and maybe not even then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm totally in agreement with you. Who started this true 1x debate anyway?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    You’re not going to get a true 1x from any scope less than $1k and maybe not even then.
    Could we end this myth? This about as wrong as any old gun-store cliche, like "you need a shotgun because you don't have to aim."

Here's how it works, as I've posted before. (I literally keep this in a file for threads like this.)

I think some people are expecting a 1x setting on a conventional scope to be identical to an Aimpoint, and it will not be. The Aimpoint is basically something you look through that does not create an image internally - conventional scopes create an image much like a camera lens. That means two key differences from using an Aimpoint:

1) The 1-4x at 1x is creating an image of unmagnified target as viewed at the objective lens, not at your eye. With anything past 15-20 yards you can't really tell the difference, but if you look through the scope at something 3' away it will be noticeably larger than what you see with your left eye - because the scope's objective lens is a foot closer to the target than your left eye. This is the reason that front BUIS are enlarged, and usually out of focus, when viewed through a LPVO.

2) The diopter adjustment on the eyepiece (aka reticle focus) affects the size of the target image, and if it's not set right, or if your eyes require a major adjustment, then the true 1x scope may not give you a true 1x image. For higher magnification scopes the standard rule is to focus the reticle while looking at blue sky or some other non-image, but for 1x scopes I find it works best to set the diopter while having the magnification ring set at 1x and looking at something about 50 yards away. Set the diopter that way to get a true 1x image, then obviously look and see if the reticle is in focus. For me it always is.

A LPVO, or any other conventional lens or prism-based optic, cannot be co-witnessed with BUIS and have them be useful through the scope, except by random chance.

Most scopes that claim to go to 1x really do actually go to 1.0 magnification. A few don't, and clearly state, like certain Trijcon models (1.1x) and the lower end Leupold models (advertised as 1.25x, but really 1.5x as stated in their detailed specifications). You can also make any of the 1x scopes be off by adjusting the diopter, either because you're goofing around, or because your eyesight is abnormal.

I have owned LPVOs as cheap as $279 that had a true 1.0x bottom end. It is neither technically difficult nor expensive, and you don't need to spend four-digit sums to get it. If the manufacturer claims it goes to 1x and you don't think it really does, carefully examine how you are using it with the above information in mind. And check the diopter focus.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Could we end this myth? This about as wrong as any old gun-store cliche, like "you need a shotgun because you don't have to aim."

Here's how it works, as I've posted before. (I literally keep this in a file for threads like this.)

I think some people are expecting a 1x setting on a conventional scope to be identical to an Aimpoint, and it will not be. The Aimpoint is basically something you look through that does not create an image internally - conventional scopes create an image much like a camera lens. That means two key differences from using an Aimpoint:

1) The 1-4x at 1x is creating an image of unmagnified target as viewed at the objective lens, not at your eye. With anything past 15-20 yards you can't really tell the difference, but if you look through the scope at something 3' away it will be noticeably larger than what you see with your left eye - because the scope's objective lens is a foot closer to the target than your left eye. This is the reason that front BUIS are enlarged, and usually out of focus, when viewed through a LPVO.

A LPVO, or any other conventional lens or prism-based optic, cannot be co-witnessed with BUIS and have them be useful through the scope, except by random chance.
    I fail to see how the quoted portions do not support my claim.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456