Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pistol range week at a large agency's academy

Feedback Score
    No experience with Gen 5 Glocks but my agency issues Gen 4s and we discontinued use of metal cased dummy rounds due to above mentioned issues... for malf drills we run plastic dummy rounds exclusively with no such problems. Our Recruit training is 80 hours all done on a concrete deck, mix of Glocks and Sigs (neighboring agency) and IME no issues with mags exploding etc.

Feedback Score
    86 (99%)
    Crazy, we thought about purchasing gen5 but we exclusively use the metal cased, orange plastic tip, dummy rounds. They completely lock up the gen5 pistol so we went with gen4. Haven’t had any issue with the gen4 locking up.

Feedback Score
    Hold down the magazine release and strip the magazine out with force, without locking the slide to the rear. Without pulling the magazine all the way out, about half way, slam it back in and you should be back in the fight.
    Doesn't this method prevent loose rounds from the malfunction from falling out though the magwell during clearing?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    One of my mags just fell apart on a day where we were dropping mags on concrete all day. The base plate must have came loose without me realizing it. When I went to eject the magazine, the base plate, a plastic retainer and the spring fell out but the actual magazine tube and follower stayed in the gun. That was strange. Reassembled it and never had an issue again.

The guy with the 226 had a similar problem where his magazine ejected and the detent that held the base plate in sheared off. Sig branded mags too. So the baseplate would come off fairly easily.
    For this and other reasons, I'm an advocate of having both dedicated training and duty mags. Especially if it's a metal mag.

The training rounds (Orange tip, silver case) were constantly getting stuck in the gen 5 glocks. The only way they wouldn't get stuck is if the rounds had no dents or dings on them at all.
    Known issue with the ST Action Pros. Even if they are in well-used condition, holding the gun upright in the workspace will allow the shooter to run the slide with regular effort. Tighter tolerances of the gen5's GMB have nothing to do with it. (It's predictable enough that I use this combo to ID shooters that are cheating on their stoppage clearance drills.)

Type 3 malfunctions were interesting. An instructor showed us the "fastest" way he's found to clear them. His disclaimer was that it doesn't work with every gun, so you'd have to try and see what happened. Tap rack first obviously, but then you'll see what kind of malf it is. Hold down the magazine release and strip the magazine out with force, without locking the slide to the rear. Without pulling the magazine all the way out, about half way, slam it back in and you should be back in the fight.
    I've seen that taught several places, with variations on whether the magazine is ejected partially or all the way. It works in Glocks pretty well, and it can work in some others.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Thanks for the report.

Do you think the Gen 5 Glocks had issues with the dinged up training rounds due to tight chamber tolerances?
    Since this thread was started, I have run several thousand rounds through my Gen 5 Glock 19 with almost zero issues. A good number of the rounds were reloads with both lead and fmj projectiles weighing between 115g and 147g. All the issues were with once fired +P+ brass regardless of projectile used for the reload.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    For this and other reasons, I'm an advocate of having both dedicated training and duty mags. Especially if it's a metal mag.

Known issue with the ST Action Pros. Even if they are in well-used condition, holding the gun upright in the workspace will allow the shooter to run the slide with regular effort. Tighter tolerances of the gen5's GMB have nothing to do with it. (It's predictable enough that I use this combo to ID shooters that are cheating on their stoppage clearance drills.)

I've seen that taught several places, with variations on whether the magazine is ejected partially or all the way. It works in Glocks pretty well, and it can work in some others.
    Yeah I now have duty/training designated mags.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    Yeah I now have duty/training designated mags.
    Now number them all. It's the only way to know when to throw them away

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123