Thread: Trouble with takedown pins

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Trouble with takedown pins

I have a Noveske gen 2 sbr lower that works perfectly with several bcm and colt uppers I have tried. However, I have a hard time getting any of my Daniel defense uppers to fit. As you can see from the pictures, I cannot get the pins to seat completely with a 10.3 inch 300 bo dd upper. Is it ok to force the pins in completely or am I borrowing trouble?

The pics show how far I can get them in without forcing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    215 (100%)
    You might try putting some oil or something on the pins and see if that helps. I've had pins that took a punch to remove because of how tight the fit was.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Pins should be easily removed with little force. If you have to hit them in, then there is something wrong. It's not entirely uncommon when you have different components coming from different sources.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does this upper work with other lowers? I have seen anodized applied to thick making it difficult to push the takedown pins through. To correct it they wrapped some sand paper around a dowel and worked it through the lugs.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have a Noveske gen2 lower that is an easy fit with several uppers including a BCM, but is an extremely tight and difficult fit with two different DD uppers (also two different PSA uppers), and simply would not fit at all with an VLTOR MUR upper.

I think that some companies will set their dimensions at one or the other end of the tolerance on purpose, and I'm guessing that Noveske and DD may have set their internal dimensions at opposite ends of the mil-spec tolerance for distance between pins. Just a guess.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Push the front pin in with the upper open. Snap it shut and try the rear pin. Does the Noveske have one of those rubber tipped jack screws in it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have a Noveske gen 2 flared forged lower that is an extremely tight fit on every upper I try.

I just accept it and move on. I keep a tool in the pistol grip on this lower so I can push out pins that are too tight.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    My Noveske is pretty tight with anything other than the original Noveske lower. I assumed it was by their design....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for the feedback. I put some fire clean on the pins and tapped them in the last little way. I have tried this lower with a dd mk18 upper I have and it wouldn’t even come close to fitting so, like someotherguy said, it could be a common issue with the two brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    You could also try some different Noveske marked pins. I bought two sets for two different lower builds and one set is very tight, the other set is loose.