A local farm supply store (that stocks and sells a lot of guns) is offering the new Ruger EC9s 9mm compact for $200. I find it an interesting little gun and probably the deal of the year. I looked at one a few days before the sale and was impressed; very decent trigger, ok sights, great price. Not that I needed it. But I was a little surprised by its size--not as "compact" as I might have expected. Still, tempting.

Last night I got to wondering how it stacked up size and weight wise to my .45 Shield. Well. In comparing the specs on both, the Shield WAS a bit larger; to wit, 1/2" longer OAL, about 1/4" taller, and 3.3 oz. heavier. Barrel length is about the same at 3 1/2", and slide width identical at .90". Even on sale the Shield is about twice the cost, but does have two mags instead of only one. Outstanding trigger. Moderate recoil, excellent accuracy. Same mag capacity.

I may still get the Ruger compact some day to play with, but for the moment the Shield wins one points; AND it's paid for.