Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW Federal Hydra-Shok Deep

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I wonder if this round would out perform the current big name defensive ammo in, from and around vehicles. We recently had an officer involved shooting where 50 plus rounds were fired into a vehicle and only about a dozen or so made it into the vehicle. The round was a 230 grain Speer Gold Dot.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    I wonder if this round would out perform the current big name defensive ammo in, from and around vehicles. We recently had an officer involved shooting where 50 plus rounds were fired into a vehicle and only about a dozen or so made it into the vehicle. The round was a 230 grain Speer Gold Dot.
    Anything packed in boxes of 25 isn’t going to pushed to departments.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Anything packed in boxes of 25 isn’t going to pushed to departments.
    HST, Critical Duty, Gold Dot etc are packed in both 20 and 50 round boxes. Why can't this?
    Worry less, Train more.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticaldesire View Post
    HST, Critical Duty, Gold Dot etc are packed in both 20 and 50 round boxes. Why can't this?
    They are priced around a buck a round in the quantity.

Not to mention that anything in the premium defensive Ammo catagory usually starts with LE then comes to the civilian market.
    Last edited by ggammell; 03-08-18 at 20:14. Reason: Spelling
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Just take a critical duty from hornady, and take the polymer plug out and you have a hydroshock deep minus the center post is all LOL, I've been testing them this way and so far they perform great much better expansions and good penetration. To 15"-18" thru 4 layers of denim..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    It’s gonna be the new big box store defensive ammo from Federal. Thats really about it. Serious users will still seek out HST.
    Why would serious users still seek out HST if it penetrates less? A hollow points crutch is always not enough penetration.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    Years ago we had a donated car that we used to test rounds, both rifle and pistol. We found all hollow point pistol rounds are really iffy firing into vehicles. Some make it in, some don't, some penetrate and go off in weird directions. Just really all over the board as far as accuracy and penetration.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wtm75 View Post
    Why would serious users still seek out HST if it penetrates less? A hollow points crutch is always not enough penetration.
    No its not. This round is completely unvetted. Once there are professional tests done, it will get more interest.
    Failure to expand, and barrier performance are also important.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-10-18 at 11:51.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    No its not. This round is completely unvetted. Once there are professional tests done, it will get more interest.
    Failure to expand, and barrier performance are also important.
    What do you mean by "No it's not?" A hollow point has always had penetration issues. That's why ballistic gel was created in the first place by FBI ballistics experts. The original Winchester Silvertip penetrated about 9 to 10 inches in gel after it failed them in the 1986 Miami Shootout. Advancements in hollow point technology have brought the average penetration depth up to about 13 inches. The FBI hasn't stopped there. They still want more penetration. That's why they selected Winchester Train and Defend for .40 S&W that penetrates about 15 inches and still are on the prowl for 9mm ammo that penetrates about the same.

You are correct thought that it is still unvetted. We will see how it does after tests are conducted.
    Last edited by wtm75; 03-10-18 at 13:22.

Feedback Score
    If you want a round that doesn't expand much and penetrates deeper go Hornady.

I'll stick to HST myself.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast