Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW Federal Hydra-Shok Deep

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wtm75 View Post
    I'm today's barrier rich environment, hollow points aren't penetrating what they do in bare gel or gel with 4 layers of denim or heavy clothing.

Check out this video. Watch how the HST fragmented when going through slightly frozen meat. It could be a fluke though since only 1 round was tested. Depending on the barrier, some hollow points don't penetrate enough.

There is a reason frozen meat is not part of the FBI testing protocols.

The 4layer denim test closely mirrors actual shootings.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-11-18 at 13:00.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    .45 acp fmj- penetrates plenty, feeds in anything, and makes .45" hole without expanding. FTW!
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    .45 acp fmj- penetrates plenty, feeds in anything, and makes .45" hole without expanding. FTW!
    Just what this thread needed.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    There is a reason frozen meat is not part of the FBI testing protocols.

The 4layer denim test closely mirrors actual shootings.
    Yeah, no kidding!

That reminds me of an article I read a number of years ago. In England they were testing jet engines for bird strikes, so in their lab they were launching chickens (like from the grocery store, not live ones) into the jet turbines to simulate hitting a big one. They were aghast and perplexed because these chickens were causing catastrophic engine damage, completely penetrating all the way through the fans and out the backside. Supposedly they contacted the FAA over here to pick their brains as well as give them a heads-up to what they had found. The Americans asked for the test protocol to be sent to them and then they looked things over. Apparently a few days later a phone call back across the pond went something like this: "Uh, did you know that you're not supposed to use frozen chickens?"
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    And you guys don't think that there isn't any barrier with the same consistency or hardness that's similar to partially frozen meat? It wasn't even completely frozen according to the tester. It was just left out while he was setting up his table and chronograph.

I'm not knocking the HST. I'm just pointing out what could happen with any hollow point after going through a certain barrier of a certain consistency. It could be any barrier.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    And you guys don't think that there isn't any barrier with the same consistency or hardness that's similar to partially frozen meat? It wasn't even completely frozen according to the tester. It was just left out while he was setting up his table and chronograph.

I'm not knocking the HST. I'm just pointing out what could happen with any hollow point after going through a certain barrier of a certain consistency. It could be any barrier.
    HST has passed many law enforcement tests and is widely considered to be one of the best choices out there. It has also worked well in actual shootings.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    HST has passed many law enforcement tests and is widely considered to be one of the best choices out there. It has also worked well in actual shootings.

So has any other round that passed certain tests. They work the majority of the time but fail in some. I'm sure it's failed other times in the street but never recorded because it wasn't priority to. As evidenced from other YouTube tests, there have been failures. In one test I saw, it failed to expand after going through sheet metal.

You can't just say because it passed FBI tests it works in 100 percent of all cases. That's my point. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So has any other round that passed certain tests. They work the majority of the time but fail in some. I'm sure it's failed other times in the street but never recorded because it wasn't priority to. As evidenced from other YouTube tests, there have been failures. In one test I saw, it failed to expand after going through sheet metal.

You can't just say because it passed FBI tests it works in 100 percent of all cases. That's my point. Nothing more. Nothing less.
    I'm not saying that passing the FBI test equates to 100% performance in all cases.

I am saying that "real world" feedback validate the FBI testing protocol.

Regardless, I'd be more inclined to believe something like this over a piece of partially frozen meat.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Bone%20S...ne%20Test.html

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I'd like to give this stuff a try but haven't seen any for sale yet. There's a shop not too far down the road that stocks a pretty good supply of self defense ammo. I've been checking with them regularly. As soon as they get some in I'll get a box to try.

In the meantime:

https://youtu.be/XcJJaga_nYw

Thanks.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Whether this new hydrashok performs better is yet to be determined but it's a welcome step in the right direction. There shouldn't be people here defending their choices of ammo like it's the end all load and it can't improve because it's 100 percent perfect. It's not. If it was, the FBI would cease all testing and settle on their current load indefinitely.

Some hollow points perform perfectly in some instances and fail in others. There isn't a hollow point out there yet that expands as much as it can while penetrating 18 inches through all barriers. (Including cold meat or sheet metal like shown below)

We aren't there yet. I welcome new ammo that tries to improve on others rather than saying my HST is the the end all or something similar to that effect.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast