Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: So many choices..

Feedback Score
    Does anyone have any ammo preferences? Specific for the range and for defense? I'll end up trying all kinds of ammo out, but I figured a baseline couldn't hurt. How does one zero their rifle if they use different ammo for the range and defense? Have to just re-zero every time you switch ammo?

Feedback Score
    For the range, I use whatever M193 (specifically 5.56 pressures) is cheapest when I buy a few cases. I don't use M855 because my local indoor range doesn't allow the steel core. Stay away from steel-cased .223 ammunition, as switching between brass and steel can lead to malfunctions if one doesn't clean the chamber before switching back to brass. For defense? Speer Gold Dots, and any of the bonded offerings are good. Doc Roberts has discussed this at length on various forums over the years. I'd defer to his testing.

Feedback Score
    I buy ammo based on application. 55gr m193 is all I need for day to day shooting. IMI m193 for 24cpr was the jimjam.

I don't do m855 because I'm not shooting at Red Dawn Russians in body armor. 62gr fmj because it matches 62gr bonded federal ammo.

77gr otm or tmk for punching paper at extreme ranges.

Essentially all a man needs is a nearly endless supply of m193, some 62gr fmj to zero with and practice longer meat ammo shooting without the $1/round price tag, some good 62gr meat ammo, and some heavy match shit if that's tickling your jibblets.

Just buy case after case of Wolf Gold et al.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JWages View Post
    Does anyone have any ammo preferences? Specific for the range and for defense? I'll end up trying all kinds of ammo out, but I figured a baseline couldn't hurt. How does one zero their rifle if they use different ammo for the range and defense? Have to just re-zero every time you switch ammo?
    Wolf gold or other cheap m193 clones for practice.
    Pick anything from DocGKR’s list for defense- i use federal fusion or goldsot(62/64gr).
    Sight in HD/SD/hunting ammo. Poi of 55gr is close enough it doesnt matter for practice as im not shooting groups if 193, im running drills.

The terminal ballistics subforum here has a plethora of info- check it out.

Feedback Score
    Thanks all! I'll definitely check out the terminal ballistics sub-forum.

Now if Grant could get some BCM lowers in stock...

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Rainier Arms has BCM lowers...

https://www.rainierarms.com/bcm-lowe...0-stock-black/

Not a blem though...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    Rainier Arms has BCM lowers...

https://www.rainierarms.com/bcm-lowe...0-stock-black/

Not a blem though...
    I didn't even realize the ones from grants are blemished. Might be worth it though cos I can have it customized. I've been trying to find other places that allow the options like gandrtactical does, but no luck yet.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWages View Post
    I didn't even realize the ones from grants are blemished. Might be worth it though cos I can have it customized. I've been trying to find other places that allow the options like gandrtactical does, but no luck yet.
    Not many do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Not many do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I'm seeing that lol.

Feedback Score
    Ordered my upper from BCM and the lower from Grant. Can't wait for it to get here! Just trying to decide what ammo I want now...

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast