Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: So many choices..

Feedback Score

So many choices..

Hi all,

I'm a noob when it comes to AR-15's (long guns in general). I've been reading/googling for at least a month and I can't quite find the answer I want. Most of my shooting experience comes from hunting with shotguns and occasionally, a .22 for squirrels. I recently purchased my first Handgun (Sig P226 Legion) and have been having fun at the range as often as I can. I want an AR-15 as well.

At first, I was certain I wanted as close to an M4 as I could get and I discovered the Colt LE6920 and LE 6920 SOCOM. Then I also discovered that it appears they don't make them anymore, but you can still get the OEM 6920. I'm not sure I want to build my first AR, though as I'd prefer the piece of mind of it being put together professionally along with a factory warranty. I then discovered the FN 15 M4 Military Collectors Edition which is also on my list. The more I researched, though, the more I found I liked. I'm also interested in a BCM Mid 16 Mod 2, their REECE line and hell, even their M4 line. How does one even begin to decide? Is there any things I should look out for when comparing a 6920 to say, a Mid 16 mod 2? I'm starting to shy away from the "need" of an AR as close to an M4 as possible, but I guess the biggest thing I'm trying to get over is that I feel (in a SHTF scenario) I'd be better served with the 6920 because its the closest to what the Military trusts. I know the Military buys from the cheapest seller, but I can't get it out of my head. Are "non-M4" AR's just as accurate/reliable as M4's?

All these choices are making my head spin lol

Thank for any input!
    Last edited by JWages; 03-09-18 at 12:06.

Feedback Score
    Go with your gut and buy the Colt. If you can't find a Colt in stock, BCM is a solid choice as well.

You can literally spend weeks reading various threads on this subject, so that is a short answer. Others may offer a different alternative to the Colt, but I think few would disagree that you can't go wrong with a plain Jane 6920.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I'd go with the BCM and never look back. It will be every bit as reliable as a 6920. I'd choose it over the issued M4.

There is nothing wrong with Colt's, by the way. I just prefer BCM.
    Last edited by Zane1844; 03-09-18 at 12:14.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post
    I'd go with the BCM and never look back. It will be every bit as reliable as a 6920. I'd choose it over the issued M4.

I'll echo this. Colt is fine, but BCM and a couple others just are a little smoother and a little closer attention to the small details and nicities.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post

I have read that some barrels from BCM aren't as accurate, but that could be just a lemon, etc. Any truth to that? I can't remember exactly which barrel was being talked about though.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Go with your gut and buy the Colt. If you can't find a Colt in stock, BCM is a solid choice as well.

You can literally spend weeks reading various threads on this subject, so that is a short answer. Others may offer a different alternative to the Colt, but I think few would disagree that you can't go wrong with a plain Jane 6920.
    That's part of my dilemma though because I REALLY like the handguard/rail on the Socom version as well as most of the ones BCM uses on their MOD 2's.

Finding either one in stock is hard as well right now.

Feedback Score
    The thing to do is to NOT get in a hurry and just buy something because it's in stock.

Do some reading. Search some threads. You may find you want something else entirely.

Feedback Score
    I have been reading, but most of the stuff I find says get the Colt because they own the TDP and are closest to the M4, but I'm trying to find out if an M4 my best option or there is something in the civilian market that could be better. I won't stop reading though and I won't be ready to buy for at least another week.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Personally, I would go with the BCM.

And if reliability is a top priority, I would learn as much as I could about the AR15 and stock up on spare parts. Then you would be able to diagnose any issues and fix said issue.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    How does one even begin to decide? Just make a list and start buying stuff XD.

Edit: remember to always be financially responsible. At least to the degree our gov is.
    Last edited by Cokie; 03-09-18 at 12:42.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by odugrad View Post
    Personally, I would go with the BCM.

And if reliability is a top priority, I would learn as much as I could about the AR15 and stock up on spare parts. Then you would be able to diagnose any issues and fix said issue.
    It is definitely up there, because if something does happen that I need the rifle, I want it to be ready to go and I trust it 100%. Maybe I should go with a complete rifle for my first purchase, then maybe worry about building my own M4 clone from a 6920 OEM? Does that sound logical?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast