Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So many choices..

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWages View Post
    I've been looking at some Noveske's, but I'm just not a fan of that basic handguard. I'm not sure why, I just don't like it lol.
    Sorry, I read your original post kinda quickly, and had it in mind that your preference was for "as close to an m4" etc. On second reading, I see your complete commentary.

FWIW, I changed out the "basic" hand guard for a Magpul version, which was an improvement.

The gen 3 Noveske uppers/rifles are really nice, but they're pretty expensive. Their "rogue Hunter" line gets you an NSR rail without the added cost of the gen 3 upper receiver.

Personally, I prefer the gen1 (standard forged) lowers over the billet-type lowers. Again, personal preference.

Really though, it doesn't matter all that much. Get yourself a good rifle. Shoot the heck out of it. The aesthetic details are mostly just window dressing.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I'm not sure how I'd want it configured and that's partially why I'm leaning towards a complete rifle for my first one, but I see what you're saying, but I'm not sure I'd do much besides add optics. At least for awhile. PS, who/what is Grant?
    Configured>>> You said you like the BCM RECCE rifle. Configure the lower from Grant to match it. Same with the upper from BCM. You will probably save a few bucks over finding a complete RECCE rifle. Do you realize that it will take you longer to open the boxes than it will to snap the halves together? Who is Grant>>> http://www.gandrtactical.com/

Feedback Score
    OP,

If your choices are between a Colt 6720/6920 or BCM you’ve already chosen wisely. Both are built of good materials, and assembled well.

Regarding your rifle’s configuration, there’s really nothing wrong with an fsb or free floated rails. Both can be made to do just about all the same things, and many on this board have examples of both. I will admit, however, to a slight preference for rifles with an fsb, weapon light, sling, and aimpoint. It’s pretty much idiot proof, and works for me.

Good luck making your decision!

Feedback Score
    Colt 6920 is the easy button. Getting a bcm midlength with 16” barrel and 12-14” handguard would be a fine purchase as most people end up with ff handguards anyways.

GH41’s suggestion is the same as mine, if you dont want the colt. Dont be afraid of buying a separate upper and lower, its no different than buying a complete rifle. You have to take it apart the day you buy it anyways to clean the crap out from storage and properly lube it.

At the end of the day, either one will be accurate, and reliable, and you will have to put the work in to get proficient.
    Go ahead and throw a case of ammo in your cart.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I've been looking at some Noveske's, but I'm just not a fan of that basic handguard. I'm not sure why, I just don't like it lol.
    Current Noveske's are not worth the money they're charging. Boutique prices for a whole lot of compromise.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Configured>>> You said you like the BCM RECCE rifle. Configure the lower from Grant to match it. Same with the upper from BCM. You will probably save a few bucks over finding a complete RECCE rifle. Do you realize that it will take you longer to open the boxes than it will to snap the halves together? Who is Grant>>> http://www.gandrtactical.com/
    I do like the RECCE, but I'm not saying that is my choice, yet. So after looking at the site, it appears I'd order the lower from Grant and the upper from BCM? I didn't realize it was that easy to put together. I figured if you didn't know what you were doing, that you might not have a tight fitting rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by magister View Post
    OP,

If your choices are between a Colt 6720/6920 or BCM you’ve already chosen wisely. Both are built of good materials, and assembled well.

Regarding your rifle’s configuration, there’s really nothing wrong with an fsb or free floated rails. Both can be made to do just about all the same things, and many on this board have examples of both. I will admit, however, to a slight preference for rifles with an fsb, weapon light, sling, and aimpoint. It’s pretty much idiot proof, and works for me.

Good luck making your decision!
    That's what I have been reading. There are so many companies that appear to make quality parts/complete rifles that maybe I should've just asked who to stay away from? Thanks for the luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Colt 6920 is the easy button. Getting a bcm midlength with 16” barrel and 12-14” handguard would be a fine purchase as most people end up with ff handguards anyways.

GH41’s suggestion is the same as mine, if you dont want the colt. Dont be afraid of buying a separate upper and lower, its no different than buying a complete rifle. You have to take it apart the day you buy it anyways to clean the crap out from storage and properly lube it.

At the end of the day, either one will be accurate, and reliable, and you will have to put the work in to get proficient.
    Go ahead and throw a case of ammo in your cart.
    I guess the part that I don't understand the most is having the lower configured. Shouldn't an upper and lower from the same company fit? Would you suggest something other than BCM? I'll definitely be getting at least a case of ammo with my purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Current Noveske's are not worth the money they're charging. Boutique prices for a whole lot of compromise.
    I figured it was the same as anything and you pay for what you get, but I do see most of the ones I'm interested in are over 2k.
    Last edited by JWages; 03-09-18 at 16:25.

Feedback Score
    For the lower he means that you have the option of adding an enhanced trigger such as Geiselle and the stock you prefer. You can also just get the standard BCM lower. It has their polished trigger which is better than milspec.

All you literally have to do to connect the upper/lower is push two pins together. It's extremely simply and buying them separate will save a little cash. Don't worry about fit to much between the upper/lower if going with quality such as BCM. A little bit of wobble is normal and has no effect on accuracy. Sometimes it will be a little tighter or looser due to tolerance stacking
    Last edited by everready73; 03-09-18 at 20:28.

Feedback Score
    So after looking at the site, it appears I'd order the lower from Grant and the upper from BCM?
    Yes. Pick a lower from Grant that has the trigger, stock, etc. you want, and then pick your upper. Should fit together just fine.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    No matter what you pick (Colt and BCM are both excellent options), make sure you leave plenty of money in the budget for ammo and extra magazines.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    The thing to do is to NOT get in a hurry and just buy something because it's in stock.

Do some reading. Search some threads. You may find you want something else entirely.
    ^^^This. I waited 4-5 months until I figured out exactly what I wanted with the help of this site 6 years ago. I've got around 8k through that rifle and it is still my "go-to" AR (DDM4 V5) having said that I have owned 5 ARs and all of them had a good amount of thought behind them.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast