Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mk12'ish build

Feedback Score
    Great thing about this hobby. You can do a clone or use it as a starting point and do your own touches.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Exactly.

Feedback Score
    Plus it's good to have variety

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpb1776 View Post
    Plus it's good to have variety

Damn, that's a very nice looking rifle! What's the rail? Looks great.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    So it was so nice here yesterday, in the low 80s, I just had to go shoot. I was excited to try out some handload I'd loaded. These are my first go at loading my own ammo and I'll have to admit that while I took my time and was very attentive to the whole process, each and every step, I was still extremely nervous. As you will see in the pics all went well, very well. I still have all of my appendages and am uninjured.

I had loaded up quite a few different loading using the few different bullets and powders I had but only took some 69gr tipped match Kings and 77gr OTM over Accurate 2520 and 8208xbr. Distance was a measured 100 yards
    Attachment 51536
    Attachment 51537
    Attachment 51538
    All of these are 5 shot groups. Measured with calipers center to center and none over 1". My best was with 23.9grains of Accurate 2520 and the 77gr Seirra Match King @ .384" then a .401" with the 69gr tipped SMK over 22.9 gr of 2520 followed by a 77gr SMK over 22.8 grains of 8208xbr @ .487".
    Needless to say I was shocked by the difference afforded by precisely loaded ammunition and obviously the absolutely amazing potential of Monty LeClairs mk12 barrel, that thing can flat out shoot and I can wait to see what else it has in it. It can certainly shoot better than I can.
    And yes that .487" group that looks like only 3 shots is a 5 shot group.
    Attachment 51540

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have also added another component that to me makes it look more Mk12ish, the A2 fixed stock with a Sprinco green spring and a Vltor buffer which came from the A5 system that was on it. It cycled perfectly through about 100 rounds Saturday. I personally love how it looks now.Attachment 51588Attachment 51589Attachment 51590
    Last edited by BillB; 04-16-18 at 00:04.

Feedback Score
    Thank you. It's an Aero precision rail in Magpul fld. I bought the lower in that color and that's the only one that matched but so far it works like it's supposed to. I am going to do a wright up on mine soon I am trying to get out to the cmp range in Alabama so I can try it at 600 yards then do my review. Yours looks like it is shooting great.

Feedback Score
    I may have to try out an A2 stock again myself haven't used one since the Army

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Just ordered an AP rail for my pistols build, thanks. It's a 10" of course. I dig the fee and may do a build in fee sometime, I am just so partial to black too though, you know how it intimidates the lefties.
    I look fwd to your write-up. I'm sure it's gonna do well. I too had not shot an A2 since the military, but for those 8 years they were almost always A2s, and you know What, I'm glad I went to the A2 on this build, I'm loving it. I mean I really enjoy just grabbing it and throwing to my shoulder and banging the switch. I don't wear armour anymore and the A2 length is damn near perfect for my frame.
    Yes, the mk12 clone is shooting well and I have to attribute that mostly to the Centurion barrel. Gotta love that thing. In order to stretch her legs I'll have to travel a bit farther than normal but I'm gonna have to do it eventually. I can get out to 500 yards if I do but man, it's an hour away. Oh how I long for the days of walking out of our camp, sitting down at the picnic table with my dad and being able to shoot the full length of one leg of our property, about 400yds. Of course I still can, without dad, and it's now 5 hours away.

Feedback Score
    black does piss them off. I have been playing with cerakote I'm going to do a camo pattern might add some black to make them feel conflicted lol. I am going to try and get to the CMP range soon and joining Strategic Edge range in Tennessee in two weeks, little over two hours and out to 1200 yards. going to do my wright up once I can stretch it out to 5 or 600 yards and with a couple types of ammo. Unfortunately I will still have to use my Leupold VX-r patrol 3x9. Good scope but reticles are a little thick and doesn't have the magnification to really push it's limits. It is amazing the accuracy you can get out of them so I guess about time for an optic upgrade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast