Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3 malfunctions in a class today.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    Im not going to comment on the malfunction, but I will give you a training tip. When we take classes we repeat drills, they are great learning tools we create. A malfunction is an amazing training tool. Don't let it go to waste. Take time to learn about your gun, especially if you'll ever bet your life on it. Stop and really look at what happened. Now that you took that all in get into clearing it and getting into the drill again. Or initially transition to your secondary and then after the drill check out your gun.

I find classes to also be great opportunity to test out a gun, so if it goes down I want to really know why.
    Yea man it happened and I completely fumbled. Instead of transitioning which was the whole point of the class, I went straight to getting the rifle back into action.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Check your action spring. Probably needs to be replaced.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Check your action spring. Probably needs to be replaced.
    Funny that you mentioned that. I put a Geissele super 42 in it yesterday. The old spring was about an inch shorter.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swstock View Post
    It's not about looks. It's about being legally limited but still be able to grip and pull a mag if necessary.

If we are blaming the mags for my malfunctions, how could I verify and confirm or eliminate them as being a reason?
    If you read my post, I was clearly commenting my disagreement with that exact rhetoric.

Do you, though.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Did these malfunctions occur before installing the Super 42? Also, you asked how you can verify and confirm the magazines are the source of your malfunctions. The answer is simple, try different magazines. If I were you I'd spend the relatively low dollar amount and get some 10 round Pmags for testing.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Did these malfunctions occur before installing the Super 42? Also, you asked how you can verify and confirm the magazines are the source of your malfunctions. The answer is simple, try different magazines. If I were you I'd spend the relatively low dollar amount and get some 10 round Pmags for testing.
    They happened with the old spring.

I have some 10 round pmags but I didn't use them in that class.

I'll try different ammo in the next class. If that doesn't work, ill try the mags. I was hoping there would be an obvious way to check the mags without going through another 400-500 rounds, but if that's what I have to do then that's what I'll do

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    When is the next class? I'm not trying to be an ass, but if you could test prior to the class, that would allow you to take more away from the training as opposed to worrying about what is wrong with you gun.

I'm sure there are others who could offer a sample of testing procedures with some known quality magazines that would be fewer than the 400-500 rounds you mention.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Just want to give an update.

I used the gun in another class today. We used just about 300 rounds. My failure to feed problem along with the failure to unlock did not repeat.

I did get a failure to fire. I found the round and it appeared to NOT have been struck by the firing pin. It had the normal floating firing pin ding but not a strike.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Question and comment.

You may have a bad hammer spring? Or a gummed up firing pin? Or the bolt is not fully engaged? Yet the hammer goes? Weird.

Comments:

Lancer 10 round mags are slightly better than 10 round PMAGs JMHO. On my rifles full 10 round PMAGs will not allow insertion on a closed bolt. Sometimes, Lancers will. Which means that PMAGs and Lancers are effectively 9 round magazines.

I've found that old 30 round Gen 2 PMAGs with blocks installed will work on a closed bolt.

Make sure the hammer spring is good, the firing pin is good and clean.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 04-29-18 at 18:22.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123