Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 malfunctions in a class today.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

3 malfunctions in a class today.

Hi everyone. Im hoping someone can shed light on this

I took a primary-secondary class today and had 3 malfunctions out of roughly 400 ar rounds.

I couldn't inspect much as it happened because they were all mid drill and I needed to get back into the drill.

The first 2 were fail to feeds. The bolt picked up the round but didn't push it into the chamber. It appeared to get stuck on the feedramps.

For the last one, I had a click but no bang. I pulled the charging handle but it didn't move. I dropped the mag, pulled again hard and cleared it.

Upper parts were: Aero Precision receiver
    Ballistic advantage 16" middy barrel
    Rubber city armory bcg
    Geissele CH

Ammo was 2009 bvac psp that I just wanted to burn though

Mags were series 2 hex 10/30s.

I thought the first 2 were ammo related so kinda dismissed them.

The last one really concerned me.

Can it all just be that old ammo?

Feedback Score
    Check for burrs on feed ramps and in chamber area first to rule that out. Given the feeding issues you also had I would guess the last malfunction was from a rough area, nick, burr etc. on the round itself which prevented the bolt from fully locking (click no bang) and then grabbed the chamber resulting in the extra hard extraction. Were u able to check the primer on the last round to see if it had been struck?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Try running some ball ammo. Perhaps that pointed soft point was the cause.

If I recall, they did not have a good reputation. And a quick google search shows that they don’t even have a website anymore. That’s a sign.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Try running some ball ammo. Perhaps that pointed soft point was the cause.

If I recall, they did not have a good reputation. And a quick google search shows that they don’t even have a website anymore. That’s a sign.
    BVAC was bought out by a couple of investors who proceeded to gut the company that Darren Newsom had built. They did stuff such as have the payments sent to Illinois (where they were) and didn't give the factory much money to pay bills and buy supplies - at the end they were on cash before we ship status with most suppliers.

In 2009, Darrin was still running the company, he didn't sell until 2010 and the ammo was some of the best remanufactured and new ammo you could buy.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 03-10-18 at 21:00.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    BVAC was bought out by a couple of investors who proceeded to gut the company that Darren Newsom had built. They did stuff such as have the payments sent to Illinois (where they were) and didn't give the factory much money to pay bills and buy supplies - at the end they were on cash before we ship status with most suppliers.

In 2009, Darrin was still running the company, he didn't sell until 2010 and the ammo was some of the best remanufactured and new ammo you could buy.
    Interesting. I didn’t get into the game serious until 2012 so that’s my frame of reference.

And for anyone else following, the PSP comment was aimed to be a technical response to the question. Kind of a two part response if you will.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Sounds like bad ammo. If it was stuck in the chamber could thst slow the bolt enough to cause a short stroke?

Im thinking two almost stuck cases, and a bad round that was the dud that was stuck and didnt fire for some reason.

... or 2 mag issues and a separate ammo issue?

Feedback Score
    Hexmag issue maybe???

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I wasn't able to recover the round. There was about 6 inches of snow on the ground. It's gone forever.

I'll try to put a couple hundred rounds of ball though it before my next class (April 29).

I used the mags in another gun and it has no failures. I will say that they were almost impossible to insert on a closed bolt when fully loaded.

I really hope it was ammo. When I zeroed the upper in with ball ammo and aluminium mags, it was fine. I just didn't put many rounds though it. I just zeroed it and left.

Feedback Score
    I posted about a similar issue during a class back in October. The round would get stripped from the mag, but would get caught halfway into the chamber with the bolt pinning the side of the cartridge against the feed ramp (left a big dent in the brass). The takeaway was short stroking. That particular barrel (Centurion CHF Middy) has had issues in the past with underpowered ammo and cold temperatures, and I think the lube wearing off after 400ish rounds sealed the deal.

So, in short, use more lube or use ammo with a bit more pressure.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Was a lock back check performed?
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast