Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 malfunctions in a class today.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Was the failure to feed on a fresh mag with 10 rounds in it?

I have the same problem with HexMag 15/30's. If the mag is loaded full with all 15 rounds the BCG has enough force to only strip the round about half way down the feed lips and it looks like it's getting stuck on the ramps.

Last one could have just been a bad primer. No?
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Was a lock back check performed?
    I didn't do specific testing it with 1 round loaded but it always locked back on an empty mag.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    Was the failure to feed on a fresh mag with 10 rounds in it?

I have the same problem with HexMag 15/30's. If the mag is loaded full with all 15 rounds the BCG has enough force to only strip the round about half way down the feed lips and it looks like it's getting stuck on the ramps.

Last one could have just been a bad primer. No?
    Maybe on the bad primer but idk why the round was stuck. It was really hard to pull the bolt back.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Make sure your weapon is clean, and check the feed ramps for divots, or burrs. If that's OK, then run it hard with different ammo (Federal XM193), and see if it happens again. If it does, try different magazines like Surefeeds, Pmags, or Lancers. If it still happens with good ammo and good magazines, you know you have an issue that is internal to your weapon. In that case I would start checking gas port, gas block alignment, gas tube, swap out BCG and action spring, etc...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have had very bad experience with the hex mags. Pony up a dollar or two more and just use a mag.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudge View Post
    I have had very bad experience with the hex mags. Pony up a dollar or two more and just use a mag.
    Its not about the dollar.

I have pmags but they are all straight 10 rounds. I ran the hex mags because they are 10/30s and they are easy to pull down out of the receiver if I need to

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swstock View Post
    Its not about the dollar.

I have pmags but they are all straight 10 rounds. I ran the hex mags because they are 10/30s and they are easy to pull down out of the receiver if I need to
    That makes sense.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudge View Post
    That makes sense.
    I dunno.

I never was interested in a mag that looked to hold 30 but could only hold 10. Waste of space, more expensive, etc. PMAGs should have the base pad to rip out if needed.

Granted, I live in a state that, for the at least the next couple months, still allows any magazines.

Nonetheless, I went through 8 hex mags and hated every one of them.

ETA: Seriously, even the cheapo 2nd Amend Mags are 10x better than the Hex Mags. I just don't trust them anymore after the bolt ride I would get on the follower. Hard to insert loaded, even with a hard smack to the bottom.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 03-12-18 at 10:08.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    I dunno.

I never was interested in a mag that looked to hold 30 but could only hold 10. Waste of space, more expensive, etc. PMAGs should have the base pad to rip out if needed.

Granted, I live in a state that, for the at least the next couple months, still allows any magazines.

Nonetheless, I went through 8 hex mags and hated every one of them.

ETA: Seriously, even the cheapo 2nd Amend Mags are 10x better than the Hex Mags. I just don't trust them anymore after the bolt ride I would get on the follower. Hard to insert loaded, even with a hard smack to the bottom.
    It's not about looks. It's about being legally limited but still be able to grip and pull a mag if necessary.

If we are blaming the mags for my malfunctions, how could I verify and confirm or eliminate them as being a reason?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swstock View Post
    I couldn't inspect much as it happened because they were all mid drill and I needed to get back into the drill.
    Im not going to comment on the malfunction, but I will give you a training tip. When we take classes we repeat drills, they are great learning tools we create. A malfunction is an amazing training tool. Don't let it go to waste. Take time to learn about your gun, especially if you'll ever bet your life on it. Stop and really look at what happened. Now that you took that all in get into clearing it and getting into the drill again. Or initially transition to your secondary and then after the drill check out your gun.

I find classes to also be great opportunity to test out a gun, so if it goes down I want to really know why.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast