Thread: Nosler .223 64BSB loads?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Nosler .223 64BSB loads?

Looking for best loads, comments on accuracy with Nosler's bonded 64 gr SP. I tested some loads on the low end and not seeing anything noteworthy yet. Anyone getting decent accuracy (sub 1.5 MOA) with these? Especially toward upper .223 or 5.56 pressures?

Mostly interested in Varget, H335, and CFE223; or maybe BL-C2, IMR4166, or H4895.

I have some excellent loads worked up for 62 and 70 gr TSX, but I can get these 64 BSB a lot cheaper.

I am ready to work up some more test loads but would like to narrow down to a decent charge range in a couple if powders with high probability of decent accuracy.

Thanks!
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    Looking for best loads, comments on accuracy with Nosler's bonded 64 gr SP. I tested some loads on the low end and not seeing anything noteworthy yet. Anyone getting decent accuracy (sub 1.5 MOA) with these? Especially toward upper .223 or 5.56 pressures?

Mostly interested in Varget, H335, and CFE223; or maybe BL-C2, IMR4166, or H4895.

I have some excellent loads worked up for 62 and 70 gr TSX, but I can get these 64 BSB a lot cheaper.

I am ready to work up some more test loads but would like to narrow down to a decent charge range in a couple if powders with high probability of decent accuracy.

Thanks!
    It's been a few years since I played with 64gr BSB's since it's been easy to get 62gr GDSP's at a great price, but the BSB's are a great bullet nonetheless and most of mine are loaded in virgin Lake City brass with sealant on both ends, so I don't expect them to go bad any time soon; however, I was never able to attain better than 2 MOA with any powder I tried. 23.1gr of 8208XBR yielded around 2750fps but wasn't anywhere near max charge (contrary to Hodgdon's load data). I worked up to Nosler's self-reported most accurate load of 26.0gr of CFE223 and it shot reliably, but it wasn't anywhere near 5.56NATO velocity.

Since switching over to the Speer 62gr pills I've got it dialed in to 25.8gr of Ramshot Tac over a CCI #41 primer for 2930-ish FPS. It's a nice stout load that exceeds available factory .223 GDSP ammo. Tac is my all-time go to powder for dang near everything. Only the 77 SMK's get special treatment with 8208 XBR at this point.
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the info. I do have one can of TAC I could try. Maybe try that and the upper range of CFE.

I am surprised there is not more chatter about this bullet. Not only is it bonded but also has a solid thick base. And it is rated well in the Win loading for LE. Seems perfect for hunting and defense and cheaper than Nosler's own Partition or Barnes TSX.

Where are you finding the GD bullets?

Anyone else with H335, Varget, CFE load tips?
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    I’ve been shooting the Nosler 2nds over the max load of Varget and getting sub-inch 100 yard groups out of my CZ 527 carbine.
    https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/223-remington/

My AR shaped rifles like them too but they shoot radically different POA/POI from my other 55gr fmj and 77gr OTM loads. I haven’t shot any game with them, too many calibers, not enough tags.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    i was able to shoot a small test batch of these 64BSB near max and groups tightened up around 25.6 gr and were around 1.25" at 26.0 and 26.4 gr. (just run of mill FN 20" barrel in an AR15). So I am very happy with this load, I think I'll split the difference of the last two charges and go with 26.2 gr.

What I like about Varget is that it has very gradual group changes and no big swings like some powders. And I should have known better from previous experience with other bullet weights is Varget shoots tightest right near max pressures, at least in .223.

But, wow, I looked into the 62gr Fusion bullets that was mentioned and from RMR it is only $135/1,000 ct.!!! That is so cheap I am thinking to simplify my .223 reloading to just two bullets: the 62gr Fusion and the 77BTHP (which can be found for $16/1,000 ct). I have a ton of 55gr bullets already and I think the simplification will be worth the slight increase in costs even for plinking. So I'll spend the next couple of years shooting up my 55gr, 60 gr, 62 gr, 69gr bullets and start building up inventory of the Fusion along with the 77BTHP. I'll keep this great load of 64BSB and use some in practice, but switch over new purchases to the Fusion. Thanks for the great ideas guys. Just had to press that Varget load a little further to get the good groups.